Russia Invades ukraine

topchippyles

46 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Out of interest what percentage of the German population was 'Nazi' when the Party came to power? 

I don’t know Andy. 

It’s an interesting question but I don’t think it is entirely relevant since in that case it was Nazis invading neighbours - I can’t think of a scenario where Ukraine might have invaded Russia. 

If we were to take Germany as an example, it probably would be interesting to know what the %s were since then we might extrapolate a justification for external intervention before the nazi affiliation becomes established at a similar level. 

The more I think about it, the more I (think) I see where you’re going with that.... 

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

I guess the thought of actually going to help those you hold dear in Ukraine was to much of a leap for you? Better to blame the west for not doing enough, huh? 

You're just being rude here mate in my opinion. No need for this humiliating comment. He's upset and probably knows more about the situation than you. It would be good to have people on here that can contribute from a different view point particularly those that have more direct links [even if you disagree with them].

Yep he was rude in his initial comment - but can't you shoulder some of that without always needing to always retaliate?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I don’t know Andy. 

It’s an interesting question but I don’t think it is entirely relevant since in that case it was Nazis invading neighbours - I can’t think of a scenario where Ukraine might have invaded Russia. 

If we were to take Germany as an example, it probably would be interesting to know what the %s were since then we might extrapolate a justification for external intervention before the nazi affiliation becomes established at a similar level. 

The more I think about it, the more I (think) I see where you’re going with that.... 

The ultranationalist (Nazi) faction in Ukraine waged an 8 or more year terror campaign against the people of the Donbass, who are defacto Russians. Apparently they wanted them to abandon their homeland and move to Russia. The Donbass has an open border with Russia, the Donbass people have Russian passports. The speak Russian. It's part of Russia. Ukraine essentially aggressed Russian citizens.

Russia backed the Donbass defense (separatists) and the west backed the Ukrainian ultranationalists. 

It's one aspect of this conflict, not the whole story but an important part, which our media is burying.

• Like 1

You're just being rude here mate in my opinion. No need for this humiliating comment. He's upset and probably knows more about the situation than you. It would be good to have people on here that can contribute from a different view point particularly those that have more direct links [even if you disagree with them].

Yep he was rude in his initial comment - but can't you shoulder some of that without always needing to always retaliate?

Whilst on one hand he’s blaming the West for what’s happening and also not doing enough/anything. It’s very insulting when you see what the West is actually doing to help. I’ve yet to see the world react and defend a country with such swiftness.

If he feels as strongly about helping there is no visa required to pop over and do what he expects the West to do and pick up arms. I’d make a contribution to that flight if he wants.

16 hours ago, Canal Navvy said:

The inevitable does feel uncomfortably close. I rather hope that those in power have reliable information about Putins state of mind/health and are prepared to make a wise judgement. 

Possibly the worst job in our country at the moment is being the captain of a vanguard sub equipped with trident.......would you want to wipe out the Russian people for the sin of not being able to control their leaders ? 🤔

Yep - and I wonder how it ranks if you're the one who actually pulls the trigger? Being more philosophical - can you say 'I was obeying orders'. Can you really imagine the children you are about to torch and the physical pain and suffering you are about to cause on people that had nothing to do with it?

It's not one that can be easily answered if answered at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

The ultranationalist (Nazi) faction in Ukraine waged an 8 or more year terror campaign against the people of the Donbass, who are defacto Russians. Apparently they wanted them to abandon their homeland and move to Russia. The Donbass has an open border with Russia, the Donbass people have Russian passports. The speak Russian. It's part of Russia. Ukraine essentially aggressed Russian citizens.

Russia backed the Donbass defense (separatists) and the west backed the Ukrainian ultranationalists. 

It's one aspect of this conflict, not the whole story but an important part, which our media is burying.

Understood. 

The question remains though  - is the current situation an appropriate and proportionate response by Russia?

If the Kernish were to cross the Tamar and impose side crimp on Tavistock - that “might be appropriate”, but if they wanted Exeter, Okehampton and beyond.....  Well,, that would just be too much -  unachievable / unenforceable / unsustainable. 

I have excluded Plymuff on purpose - they Janner bey’s are like a separate ethnic group all on them own 😂

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Whilst on one hand he’s blaming the West for what’s happening and also not doing enough/anything. It’s very insulting when you see what the West is actually doing to help. I’ve yet to see the world react and defend a country with such swiftness.

If he feels as strongly about helping there is no visa required to pop over and do what he expects the West to do and pick up arms. I’d make a contribution to that flight if he wants.

Yep I'm not saying he isn't being insulting - but two wrongs don't make a right. And his wife is Ukranian - he's directly involved - and you've made up the scenario that if he doesn't fly over there and take part somehow he's not allowed to have strong viewpoints?

He gets to feel very strongly about it without having to do anything to prove himself.

And are we helping? As in I genuinely have no faith in the governments motives behind anything they do. The sanctions they are imposing will not hurt Putin as much as normal people. And for all we know it could simply be a big wealth grab for the West. £100 billion grabbed - £2 billion in aid back - thanks very much! [this is a pure guess].

Maybe we are maybe we aren't. We just don't know. We get fed narratives which incite our emotions. I try not to watch the main stream news these days as it effects me so much. 

We gone straight from Covid to this - it's seamless worry and anxiety.

• Like 9

List of countries not imposing economic sanctions against Russia (list not exhaustive.)

🔹 Moscow partners in the BRICS group (Brazil, India, China, South Africa). 41% of the world population.
🔹 The countries of OSC (Belarus, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan).
🔹 Azerbaijan and Moldova have abandoned anti-Russian restrictions. But the most surprising position is Georgia!
🔹 Latin America (Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Guatemala, Colombia, Cuba, Nicaragua, Chile, Peru).
🔹 The Middle East (Syria, Egypt, Turkey, Iraq, Iran).
🔹 The Balkans (Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina).
🔹 Hungary, yet a member of the European Union.