Russia Invades ukraine

topchippyles

Just now, Mick Dempsey said:

I find it interesting how the anti vaxxers/covid skeptics whatever you want to call them, have jumped straight on the bandwagon on a pro Russia/anti defending Ukraine without missing a beat.

All I can think that they have clicked into a mindset where they automatically reject whatever they see on the news because they perceive it as what ‘the global elite’ want them to think, so they find a way to disbelieve or attribute it to mysterious forces.

They see themselves as the free thinkers whereas they’re trapped, looking and finding what they want to hear (even if it’s Fox News) and lapping it up.

No. It's the opposite. You're projecting onto us what you are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

Apparently 42% of Americans support potentially triggering a nuclear war over Ukrainian sovereignty. 

A4D146DA-01A6-4EA3-AC04-74842C7AA52C.thumb.jpeg.6457f2070f359901735bb0ed4578fbb1.jpeg

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/28/politics/cnn-poll-russia-ukraine-us-aid/index.html

Your comment with that post are two different things. Direct intervention and going nuclear are not the same thing as an abstract question. If they were asked about nukes I think even the American public would see that as an utterly stupid idea

6 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I find it interesting how the anti vaxxers/covid skeptics whatever you want to call them, have jumped straight on the bandwagon on a pro Russia/anti defending Ukraine without missing a beat.

All I can think that they have clicked into a mindset where they automatically reject whatever they see on the news because they perceive it as what ‘the global elite’ want them to think, so they find a way to disbelieve or attribute it to mysterious forces.

They see themselves as the free thinkers whereas they’re trapped, looking and finding what they want to hear (even if it’s Fox News) and lapping it up.

Firstly Mick, i'm not an anti-vaxxer, secondly, works both ways!

I couldn't care less what news channel it was, in fact I didn't even notice first time round. I was listening to the speaker, and certain things he said are factual, go look them up.

Yes arming them against an enemy they have no hope of defeating is opening them up to huge casualties. That doesn't mean I disagree with us doing that. The alternatives are us getting involved, or expecting them just to lay down their arms and surrender. The latter might result in less loss of life but is probably equally unsavoury to the Ukranians as the other options.

Bit too quick off the mark to judge there I think Mick.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

Direct intervention and going nuclear are not the same thing

The point was clear Rich - 42% of Americans polled were supportive of potentially triggering a nuclear war with Russia via direct US Military action over Ukrainian sovereignty. 

Direct intervention means war with Russia potentially triggering the nuclear option. 

8 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Firstly Mick, i'm not an anti-vaxxer, secondly, works both ways!

I couldn't care less what news channel it was, in fact I didn't even notice first time round. I was listening to the speaker, and certain things he said are factual, go look them up.

Yes arming them against an enemy they have no hope of defeating is opening them up to huge casualties. That doesn't mean I disagree with us doing that. The alternatives are us getting involved, or expecting them just to lay down their arms and surrender. The latter might result in less loss of life but is probably equally unsavoury to the Ukranians as the other options.

Bit too quick off the mark to judge there I think Mick.

I stand by every thing I wrote.

If your position is more nuanced then maybe you could have explained it earlier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I stand by every thing I wrote.

If your position is more nuanced then maybe you could have explained it earlier.

That can get a bit tiresome. I don't have time to spoon feed everyone! The point is don't write something off purely because you don't like the source which is what peds did....source being the news source, and probably more importantly the poster.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

That can get a bit tiresome. I don't have time to spoon feed everyone! The point is don't write something off purely because you don't like the source which is what peds did....source being the news source, and probably more importantly the poster.

Fair point.

It was that poster using that particular news source that raised an eyebrow this end.

Edited by Mick Dempsey