550xp Fuel mix?

chrisjpainter

13 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

RTFM

Read the ******* post! 

'I have always just played it manual-safe'.

I did read the manual and have always run it by the manual. This came up because someone was saying something different to the manual and I wanted to see if others did this. If someone with a lot more experience than you tells you something, it's worth at least considering before dismissing it, hence the post. 

12 hours ago, Husky D said:

Doesn't sound too clever having to add oil to get it to go! If you were aware that he was a bit haphazard with his mixing, why use it through your saw? Not a cheap piece of kit to replace for a can of your own fuel.

It wasn't an ideal situation. He provided the fuel for the day and we started with his ready mixed stuff and the half tank I'd managed to put into mine before heading over. As we were both running 1:50 saws, I'd assumed (because manuals are usually best followed) that he'd be packing 1:50 fuel. It was only towards the end of the afternoon that we'd burned through the last of the ready mixed that I got to see his less than accurate mixing style. It was immediately obvious that that mix had come out different as mine wouldn't start, so I had to top up, but fortunately only for the last couple of refills before the day was done. 

Edited by chrisjpainter

Iv'e come across a few saw users who aren't numerate or bright enough enough to calc the oil needed for a 5l  fuel can properly and who just randomly add a "dash of oil".

Other who will only buy the one shot things to avoid "confusion".

Best not to use use other peoples mix unless you are certain etc.....

Assumptions are the mother of all....

Edited by Stere
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Read the ******* post! 

I did read the manual and have always run it by the manual. This came up because someone was saying something different to the manual and I wanted to see if others did this. If someone with a lot more experience than you tells you something, it's worth at least considering before dismissing it, hence the post. 

It wasn't an ideal situation. He provided the fuel for the day and we started with his ready mixed stuff and the half tank I'd managed to put into mine before heading over. As we were both running 1:50 saws, I'd assumed (because manuals are usually best followed) that he'd be packing 1:50 fuel. It was only towards the end of the afternoon that we'd burned through the last of the ready mixed that I got to see his less than accurate mixing style. It was immediately obvious that that mix had come out different as mine wouldn't start, so I had to top up, but fortunately only for the last couple of refills before the day was done. 

And which of the two would you say was the more reliable source of information?

Keep your hair on.

In my experience, experience does not always relate to knowledge or competency... it's a paradoxical statement I know. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Iv'e come across a few saw users who aren't numerate or bright enough enough to calc the oil needed for a 5l  fuel can properly and who just randomly add a "dash of oil".

Other who will only buy the one shot things to avoid "confusion".

Best not to use use other peoples mix unless you are certain etc.....

Assumptions are the mother of all....

It had the feel of 'adding a dash of oil' when I saw him do it, but both saws had been running fine up until then. like I said it wasn't the ideal situation. My village had had a lot of trees down over the weekend, so I'd emptied my supply. Then I got this call, but I didn't have time to get any more in and mix myself. 

I knew a lad like that but it was his trainer's fault (so he told me...). Apparently he was asked to mix the fuel for one of the first actual cutting sessions. He was told mix it 1:50 and his trainer watched him diligently fill a 5l can with a 1:50 ratio...the wrong way round. The trainer only jumped in once the lad had fill his own saw but hadn't passed it round the group. I never asked whether he genuinely thought it was 50 parts oil, or he just had a brain fade. Seemed a bit harsh of the trainer to wait until he'd filled the saw before stepping in, but I guess he never forgot it!

At a guess….

(only a guess as I’m not daft enough to try it)

having a higher ratio/more sparky flamey bang bang may well give the impression of better performance?

But that means less slippy slimey lubey wooby. Which id only assume shortens the saws life span. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, josharb87 said:

At a guess….

(only a guess as I’m not daft enough to try it)

having a higher ratio/more sparky flamey bang bang may well give the impression of better performance?

But that means less slippy slimey lubey wooby. Which id only assume shortens the saws life span. 🤷‍♂️

That is a good calley walley woo waa 👍

10 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Read the ******* post! 

i think to be honest you have answered your own question, you filled your saw with his "special fuel mix" and it wouldnt start!!!!

btw i know nothing about fuel mixes, always used 50:1 as i have never had a problem with it and i assume the saw manufactures know what works best in their saw.

i think if people are tweaking the ratio it tends to be more oil not less but i could be wrong.

I used to use a measure from some medicine to measure 100ml to 5l of fuel, I can't see why getting the ratio wrong would stop the saw from starting unless it was over oiled. It would make for less seized saws from lack of oil if it worked like that.

20 hours ago, peatff said:

I used to use a measure from some medicine to measure 100ml to 5l of fuel, I can't see why getting the ratio wrong would stop the saw from starting unless it was over oiled. It would make for less seized saws from lack of oil if it worked like that.

Funny that...I use the exact same thing and a small lemonade bottle. the two lines from the bottom of oil to a full bottle of petrol is bob on and is enough to half or fully fill most saws.

I just don't need too much mix at any one time!

• Like 1

being a newbie to this game i just follow the manual at 50:1 but i will say use a good oil and not one of these supermarket brands  . I started on xp oil then went to a cheep brand from my supermarket soon swapped back as the saw smoked more than Dave Allen on a good night on stage .