Why am I so disgusted at the Charity Commission investigating Capt. Toms charity

difflock

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Found the smoking gun.

NHS Charities together.

With a CE on an apparently undisclosable salary, who has recently appointed a few new "helpers". No doubt also on undisclosable salaries.

FFS!

Btw. NHS Together "grassed up' Capt Tom's  Foundation, which was  set up after the money was raised and given to the NHS( well akinda, but not quite!) in the first instance.

Did the new Foundation perhaps decide they were going to exert more control over how their charity funds were to be disembursed?

Follow the money as somebody else suggested.

Bit out of date but still shocking

TFN.SCOT

Healthcare charities dominate in salary survey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Billhook said:

Bit out of date but still shocking

TFN.SCOT

Healthcare charities dominate in salary survey

I support your original contention that charity workers should be unpaid volunteers and while that site is several years out of date some of those institutions with top pay don't look like they deserve charity status to me.

Does anyone have figures for staff salaries at:

RSPCA, British Legion, Red Cross, DEC, etc.

I might just not donate to charities with chief execs earning more than £100k/annum

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mike Dempsey said:

All the public schools such as Eton, Harrow etc are registered charities. Perhaps all their teachers and headteacher should be volunteers or maybe they should give up their charitable status as they are run as businesses?

Definitely should not be considered a charity that's just taking the piss. Even more so that Capt Toms money grabbing family. 

3 hours ago, Mike Dempsey said:

All the public schools such as Eton, Harrow etc are registered charities. Perhaps all their teachers and headteacher should be volunteers or maybe they should give up their charitable status as they are run as businesses?

Is the government not considering removing private schools charitable status?

10 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I support your original contention that charity workers should be unpaid volunteers and while that site is several years out of date some of those institutions with top pay don't look like they deserve charity status to me.

Does anyone have figures for staff salaries at:

RSPCA, British Legion, Red Cross, DEC, etc.

I might just not donate to charities with chief execs earning more than £100k/annum

My mate was killed in Afghanistan and out of all of the military charities(and there are quite a few- some questionable ?) his wife and 3 kid’s received more help from the British Legion than the rest put together. Most workers at the sharp end particularly raising money are all unpaid volunteers, I’m not bothered if the CE is highly paid they do a lot of good.

• Like 3

Funny enough, and despite never attending a Public School, I am in favour of them retaining their charitable status. Since it is entirely clear what their priorities are and where they spend their money.

Other so called charities, not so much.

Marcus

21 hours ago, difflock said:

Funny enough, and despite never attending a Public School, I am in favour of them retaining their charitable status. 

They definitely should NOT be charities imo. My son play as hockey at quite a high level and as Hockey is dominated by public schools, I have visited  a large number of schools over the last few years. The facilities at these schools is amazing, I was a secondary school teacher and worked as a supply teacher so know the state school system pretty well.  The public school system is so wrong and the fact they get a tax break by claiming to be charities is massivly unfair. 

• Like 1

If anyone would care to properly count up the actual cost per pupil educated, state run against private run, it might well prove illuminating.

The wife taught in a state run school, but fully supported the private school sector, which she had had the good fortune to benefit from as an army brat.

They are not all Eton's by any means, and many of them provide bursaries and provide an education for the less well off who are intelligent enough to qualify. Paid for in part by doting wealthy parents throwing their own money at attempting to educate their thick as pig shit offspring, which subsidizes the others. Also many bequests by old boys and girls.

Not many state schools can inculcate that level of lifetime support.

The wife having observed both sectors says it is simly the quality and dedication of the staff, which is not necessarily reflected in their pay grades or bands either.

Cheers,

Mth

Edited by difflock

2 hours ago, difflock said:

If anyone would care to properly count up the actual cost per pupil educated, state run against private run, it might well prove illuminating.

The average private school fee (not including boarding schools) was found to be £13,700 a year, compared with £7,100 in spending on each state school pupil.  According to the Guardian.

They are plain wrong unfair and should be banned. The few proxy bursaries are irrelevant in the larger scheme and removing the smart kids from the state sector doesn't help the state schools if anything it does the opposite.

They teach privaliged kids to think they are better than the lower classes. Old boys clubs mean stupid people end up in positions they should not be and make it way harder for smart people to achieve.

Teaching in them is much nicer as the kids can be booted out if they are naughty and their parents expect them to work hard. State schools are underfunded, many of the parents don't give a toss and few support the school.

Would I send my kids to one if I could afford it... Probably.. They are still wrong.