Why am I so disgusted at the Charity Commission investigating Capt. Toms charity

difflock

Not only on your side of the pond had a couple here as well  "

WWW.INDEPENDENT.IE

A second figure implicated in the scandal which engulfed development aid charity Bóthar has died.

.....................................................................................................................................................

• Like 1

Years ago I heard a radio interview of a guy who helped start the Help for Heroes charity. They borrowed office space, farmed out admin and general minimised all day to day running costs with a skeleton staff to ensure the most of the public's contributions actually went to where it was needed.

I personally only give to one charity. If anyone asks me for contributions to others I respectfully refuse and quietly explain why. Most people asking for money might think I'm mean. But when you hear that many charities are not run by volunteers but burnt out city executives and wasteful middle managers, you'd be careful where you'd put your hard earnt cash.

I will say one thing I was told by a cynical cancer researcher I knew in the early 1990s in Manchester. He said it is not in many's charities interests to actually solve the problems they are trying to alleviate.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ChrisNewport said:

There isnt one honest charity out there, every day there is a story about about how they are run, here is todays

Royal charity spent 98% of its cash raised in one year on paying just 10 staff, probe reveals  | Daily Mail Online

It’s a difficult area. 

Ive no doubt many small - medium charities are founded out of good intentions, often filling a gap in systemic care and similarly often borne out of personal experiences motivating good people to do ‘good’ in their local area. 

That so many seem to fall foul of ‘operating costs’ and ‘remunerations’ that seem to far exceed the proportion of turnover / designated charitable output is a stain that seems to over shadow so many. 

Not naturally altruistic, I was hit up by an important influence in my life recently to contribute to a charitable cause he was championing. He was horrified when I told him I’d taken the time to look the charity up and read their annual reports - which didn’t present a particularly impressive charitable output to ‘running costs’ ratio.  All the info is there at charities commission for public scrutiny. 

Kids Club has just had its investigation concluded - delayed due to concurrent high court activity.   

Shocking state of affairs with considerable ramifications in the (so called) charitable sector. That it is even considered as a ‘sector’ speaks VOLUMES of the state of affairs where whole careers, and considerable salaries, are built out of exploiting grant availability and public fund raising. 

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sutton said:

Years ago I heard a radio interview of a guy who helped start the Help for Heroes charity. They borrowed office space, farmed out admin and general minimised all day to day running costs with a skeleton staff to ensure the most of the public's contributions actually went to where it was needed.

I personally only give to one charity. If anyone asks me for contributions to others I respectfully refuse and quietly explain why. Most people asking for money might think I'm mean. But when you hear that many charities are not run by volunteers but burnt out city executives and wasteful middle managers, you'd be careful where you'd put your hard earnt cash.

I will say one thing I was told by a cynical cancer researcher I knew in the early 1990s in Manchester. He said it is not in many's charities interests to actually solve the problems they are trying to alleviate.

Don’t even get me started on H4H!

Its a gravy train with biscuit wheels staffed by cliquey ex service strap hangers and free loaders. 

• Like 4