Waterproof Gloves

IronMike

My poor little trotters have endured nearly 3 years of the finest weather North Yorkshire can throw at them, but I’ll admit defeat and say the time has come for some decent waterproof gloves. I usually use multiple pairs of cheap, thin gloves throughout the day that offer zero waterproofing. Most folks seems to say go for Sealskinz, but before I pull the trigger on a pair I’d better do my Arbtalk research.

Main things I need are….

A. Waterproof!

B. Finger dexterity isn’t compromised so I can still press the buttons without an Incredible Hulk style rage descending.

C. Ideally a bright colour so when I invariably drop them, I can see the dam things. Orange would be good!

My Sealskinz are more for MTB riding. Wouldn't say they are 100% waterproof. They keep my hands warm when using a saw and offer reasonable dexterity. Think bike controls, gears etc.  I have damage to my R hand that means I really feel the cold due to poor circulation.  They are great for keeping warm but dragging brash will kill them. 

So:

A - Not really

B - Ok -Not bad.

C - fail. They are black.

Hoping you get something that works. Will follow with interest.

In my experience definitely waterproof and also very warm, everything else on your list definitely not.

In the winter I spend most of my time pruning apple trees with secateurs, when it is very wet or very cold I will wear Sealskinz but prefer not to because they are too bulky.

Have to say I do find them incredibly waterproof much to my surprise. I accidentally cut a pair once, brand new ones of course, and they have what looks like a polythene bag layer in there. That must be how they are waterproof.

I spent loads trying to find the holy grail of gloves for winter. One that I could climb in, kept the warm in and the water out etc. They don't exist. 

What work do you do?

The wonder grip orange thermo ones are good, as are the pfanner ice grip. Not waterproof but cheap enough that you can buy a few pairs and keep them on rotation.

Gloves never last in our line of work so it's better to buy a few cheaper pairs that you can ruin rather then an expensive pair that you will still knacker.

• Like 1

I should have said, these are exclusively for operating the machine. There'll be no saw work or moving brash etc. The issue with the Logbullet is there isn't a cab as such so my hands are just out getting piss wet through all day. 

Sealskinz seem to be available in any colour you like, as long as it's black 😂🙈

Might be worth trying a pair of nitrile gloves with a pair of standard heavier gloves over them, the outers can get quite wet before you will feel the cooling effect through the nitriles. 

When I was harvesting brassicas in winter I found it the best compromise between gloves that you can retain some dexterity with and something close to waterproof. I used to swap them at lunchtime if the outer pair was totally saturated.

Worked for that situation at least.

• Like 3

These are about the warmest I have used in the wet. They do get wet through over time but seem to work like a wetsuit and still keep you warm. I use them when on the processor in the pissing rain also OK with the saw once you get used to something so thick. Have multiple pairs as they are a pain to dry out again 

Protect your hands from rain, the cold, abrasion and tears with the Skytec Argon Warm Waterproof Work Gloves, available for...

Edited by Woodworks