Walker killed by cattle....

kevinjohnsonmbe

35 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Is that a bit like Trump then? The only way he’d end up with a million is if he started out with 2?

Clarkson - reported £48 mil personal wealth, paid heaven only knows how much for a farm - and a ridiculously over spec’s tractor - drew down a shed load of tax payers money (quite properly (if you think the subsidy system ‘proper’)) and turned an £85 profit after a year?

There’s a discussion running about how silly it is to work on a Sunday and folks’ business acumen been questioned (only joking Mick) but folks here want to present Clarkson as a paradigm of industry?

I’m completely unable to take that at face value....

Others may disagree. 

No one said he was any good at it! It does show how shit it can be though.

the subsidies would be paid regardless so that’s a poor argument. Should they be there? I’d say probably not. My dad hasn’t bothered filling the forms in for the last few years. Too much hassle as he doesn’t produce anything anymore.

he bought the farm years ago to hide some money I’m guessing? In 2008 I think he said

Edited by Richard 1234

3 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Many would say you're about 30 years too late🤣

Yeah. It's all relative though. When there was a financial wobble a few years ago (three ish maybe but my perception of time is poor), people quickly land banked and all the small, £1-4m, 1000-5000 acre estates disappeared from sale in weeks. They were fabulous properties. £350-£500 an acre with some developed bits chucked in for free, like a castle, three farms, four big houses, twenty workers' cottages, six running businesses etc. 

11 hours ago, john87 said:

Funny that, as i used to work on a farm with 200 breeding ewes [so over 400 of the things after lambing] so i think i know just a bit about sheep..

john..

I understand you know a bit about sheep. I've had to deal with worried stock under my responsibility as well and it's not nice.

I just think something you maybe don't see is that dogs, sheep, cattle, horses etc aren't robots with only one reaction at their disposal. Just like us they make judgements in the moment that influence behaviour. In my opinion it isn't the presence of a dog that worries them, it's the dogs behaviour or attitude that they'll make the judgement on. If the dogs body language says it's no threat then they've no reason to be stressed.

Please consider learning some body language before you get a gun out again.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Richard 1234 said:

On the whole I enjoyed clarksons farm and it did raise good points.

on the subsidy yes he got it like everyone else but if I remember rightly he made £85

from the 2000 acres that first year. It was some silly figure like that.

That's what they claimed in the final episode but anyone with a bit of common sense could see that is TV bullshit-  the way that figure was put across would mean he was buying a new tractor, cultivator etc every year! So he did make 50 grand or so- still bugger all for the millions of pounds worth of land and the hours worked but it is an entertainment programme,  not a company accounts report so its probably not 100percent accurate! 

Farmers seem to have had a positive reaction to it from what I've read/heard.

It's certainly a  better show of farming than the vegan friendly drivel that Countryfile has become, or the BBCs wheelchair and headscarf festival as Clarkson referred to it in his newspaper column 😅😅😅

11 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Nice burn! 👍🙂 

People get triggered when there's a threat to their doggies. The doggies can do no wrong. In Ireland the rule is you can shoot the dog if it's at large, but the convention is to give a single warning, if it's known who the dog belongs to...

Sheep don't drop dead from the sight of a strange dog, it's the mad stampeding when the dog chases them and panic that causes the heart attacks and abortions...yes, farmers move sheep for miles, it's true, but they don't make the sheep run. Totally different. Any sheep don't drop dead when badgers are around because badgers don't chase them.

Exactly correct, someone that actually knows about sheep..

john..

11 hours ago, drinksloe said:

No 'being at large or not under close control' is the phrase.

And that is a defence it is not a right.

U simply cannot shoot a dog for looking at sheep in a field, that is a fact.

Look at any written advice on it from wot ever source u want NFU etc, no one will advise that.

Even if u find a dog covered in blood and wool but all the sheep that were in the field are dead strictly speaking  u cannot shoot it ( althou i don't think anyone would complain if u did) as it no longer is in the act of worrying. It may very well have killed all the sheep but thats not the point

U can catch and report it and claim for damages of the owner, but strictly speaking legally u can't shoot it.

Also u cannot catch a dog that was worrying tie it up or put in the pick up/quad trailer while u go and get ur gun to shoot it as it has stopped the act

If u shooting dogs the way u claim ur very lucky not to have got in trouble for it, we've all heard of farmers shooting a dog and stuffing some wool in its mouth but if u are caught out it is u in the wrong. And with all these camera phones nowadays its only a matter of time till u are caught out

By law u have to inform the police within 24hrs of shooting a dog.

U shoot a dog in those circumstances that belongs to a lawyer or someone a bit more clued up and see how u get on. Or if u get some different police officers

I'm no saying u can't but just not the way u claim to be doing it.

Wot are u shooting all these dogs with???

I've had some bollockings in the past for not shooting the landowners and his sisters dogs when running wild but only killing pheasants so not legal to do so.

Was never going to end well if i did shoot them, even if it was the old SSS method

The neighbouring farmer ended up shooting them a few months later for stock worrying, i think he has had 6 dogs shot now for stock worrying over the last 30 yrs and thats a land owner

Err, why not, and a 12 bore with loaded with SG..

john..

9 hours ago, gary112 said:

02EAD819-2203-4388-A815-A07503E8A5B7.thumb.jpeg.280be14fc2e02bbcbae47c9fff85c285.jpeg72F3CB92-4E02-4D38-A307-5F01D2FE1C21.thumb.jpeg.02d87d7cb52ccb21edbc7944d705a226.jpegThese don’t look too bothered by my dog John,as for “beating the living daylights”out of a dog on a farm for not doing what you want,well I hope I never see anybody doing that,as for not putting cows in a field because of a footpath,well thats just bollox

Ok, so what would YOU do, when you have just caught your OWN dog bothering the sheep or catch the same dog just after it has killed about 15 of your hens??

You cannot just decide to put potentially dangerous animals in a field with a public right of way. That is the right way to end up on a manslaughter charge..

john..

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

You should also lodge a statement with the highway authority that you do not dedicate the path for public use and renew it every few years.

Whoever told you that does not have a clue!! Once a footpath, always a footpath. The test is whether it is on the local councils definitive map. If it is, it is a footpath and it would be illegal to try to block it..

john..

9 hours ago, gary112 said:

02EAD819-2203-4388-A815-A07503E8A5B7.thumb.jpeg.280be14fc2e02bbcbae47c9fff85c285.jpeg72F3CB92-4E02-4D38-A307-5F01D2FE1C21.thumb.jpeg.02d87d7cb52ccb21edbc7944d705a226.jpegThese don’t look too bothered by my dog John,as for “beating the living daylights”out of a dog on a farm for not doing what you want,well I hope I never see anybody doing that,as for not putting cows in a field because of a footpath,well thats just bollox

Got this smart arse at the moment, she just sits there and freezes and then waits for the cattle or lambs to come to her, she is very laid back until shoot days, she just sits and waits sometimes for up to an hour or so and waits till there close enough and just licks the snot of the cattles nose, this has become a popular thing during the summer months when there is some young stock in the field next to the yard,

20160726_160347.jpg

20160816_190623 (2).jpg

• Like 6

Well, i have to be fair, i have read some total and complete crap on here.. [and i could not be arsed to wade through it all]

1, All this stuff about you cannot shoot a dog for being in the field. I have already shown you that the law that says a dog that is merely "at large" is, in the eyes of the law worrying the sheep..

Here we are [once again]

(2)For the purposes of this Act [Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953] worrying livestock means—

(a)attacking livestock, or

(b)chasing livestock in such a way as may reasonably be expected to cause injury or suffering to the livestock or, in the case of females, abortion, or loss of or diminution in their produce.

or

(c)being at large (that is to say not on a lead or otherwise under close control) in a field or enclosure in which there are sheep]

There you go, "being at large".... I did say...

A farmer can shoot a dog that is attacking livestock, looks like it is going to, or has, and has then cleared off and returned to the area. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find the act of parliament that states that this is not so.. You cannot..

Then we have all the utter nonsense about it is a wonder the guns were not siezed and i am likely to be arrested, more total nonsense..

From Devon and cornwall police..

What can the farmer do?

The owner of the livestock or the land or any authorised person may kill or injure a dog* in order to protect the livestock. The dog must be worrying or about to worry the livestock.

There must be:

• no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying; or
  • the dog has not left the vicinity and is not under the control of any person and there are no reasonable means of ascertaining ownership.

CLEAR ENOUGH????

From South wales police..

Livestock worrying

Livestock worrying is a criminal offence and comes under the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 195

‘Worrying’ is where a dog attacks or chases livestock causing injury or suffering.

This isn’t just a threat to a farmer or land owner’s livelihood, it’s also a dangerous situation for the animals involved, and could lead to more risk if the animals get onto the road.

A farmer is allowed to kill the dog if it’s worrying their livestock

CLEAR ENOUGH????

Kent police.. [same thing]

Livestock worrying

Livestock worrying is a criminal offence and comes under the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953‘Worrying’ is where a dog attacks or chases livestock causing injury or suffering.

This isn’t just a threat to a farmer or land owner’s livelihood, it’s also a dangerous situation for the animals involved, and could lead to more risk if the animals get onto the road.

A farmer is allowed to kill the dog if it’s worrying their livestock.

CLEAR ENOUGH????

Warwickshire police..

PC Mike Barnett, dog legislation officer for Warwickshire Police and West Mercia Police, said: “We are at the very beginning of lambing season and we are already starting to have problems with dogs. Farmers are within their rights to shoot dogs worrying sheep on their land.

“To lose sheep and unborn lambs has a big effect on farmers’ livelihoods. To lose a loved pet causes huge upset for dog owners too.

“All is takes to avoid this distress is to keep dogs on leads and make sure they cannot get out and run loose.”

Farmers are within their rights to shoot dogs worrying sheep on their land, Warwickshire Police said.

CLEAR ENOUGH????

Then we have the animals act 1971..

3)Subject to subsection (4) of this section, a person killing or causing injury to a dog shall be deemed for the purposes of this section to act for the protection of any livestock if, and only if, either—

(a)the dog is worrying or is about to worry the livestock and there are no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying; or

(b)the dog has been worrying livestock, has not left the vicinity and is not under the control of any person and there are no practicable means of ascertaining to whom it belongs.

So much for all the talk of you actualy have to catch the thing in the middle of tearing a sheep apart.. [Once again, i did say]

So, if people want to talk crap, that is up to them, but that is what it is, crap..

john..

Edited by john87