Scotland and dictator Sturgeon

Baldbloke

I would hazard a guess that a damn large percentage of houses out there are below C rated and many will never be able to achieve it and make the investment cost effective.
Most older houses won't suit current heat pumps, the best that can be done is LED lighting, double glazing and thicker loft insulation - the rest of it just isn't cost effective.
If you look at housing on Rightmove, if you find an EPC rating of C, the house is generally a new build or has some form of solar panels on its roof.
The sad thing is that doing this is pissing in the wind as the decimation of the rain forests and the Chinese manufacturing machine bulging out shyte in to the atmosphere are by far the higher causes of global warning. Best save the £££ and fund the Brazilians etc to halt deforestation and to plant loads of trees to turn it back and better not mention overpopulation!!!

I reckon you’ve hit the nail on the head.
Sturgeon and her Green partners meanwhile want to make Scotland look like Ireland. Lots of little characterless eco boxes littering the countryside.
  • Like 2

That would all be OK if it wasn't going to cost money to do what they want, fire alarms make sense, but at about £200 a house, maybe £150 a flat for wirelessly conected, it is a lot of money fo a lot of people.. especially with energy prices rising, taxes rising, NI rising, and wages... not rising. Fire alarms, another mini-rant, that there is no standard for interconnection, they 'should' talk to another brand but might not.. you are tied to a single brand for them all and as such increased prices because there is no competition (some companies do cheaper heat alarms, exensive smoke alarms, some do cheap smoke, expensive heat alarms, he full system, about the same from all companies). You can hard wire them all together.. but that will mean taking apart the ceilings or floors to install cablng.. or get an electrician in... and for all of this we only started getting adverts to tell us this change about a month ago, straight after Christmas and not 2 years ago when the ligislation was passed quietly.

Not best pleased with this one.

Then EPC... the only way I am gong to find out what my house is is to pay to get someone in to do a check, no government advice on what I can do if I wanted to rent the house out. there are online EPC places so I assume al the data can be input int a spreadsheet if it is online and doesn't need a physical surveyor.. and if it can be done by spreadsheet then I reckon that should be available online for free. Averge UK rating is D.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

Recently they’ve been arrogant enough to pass a bill to make all homeowners install interlinked fire/smoke and Co2 alarms, no matter how new or what set up you’ve already got in place. All supposedly in the wake of a high rise flat with outer cladding going up in smoke. Because of the outcry over this imposition on peoples personal ownership and living area they’ve since admitted no one will be criminalised for ignoring the legislation.

When I that I saw this being heavily pushed I listened to an online explanation which was followed by a link to  recommended supplier of said devices, the first thing that came to mind was that as this will obviously be a large earner for those supplying the alarms.. do any of them in Holyrood have any vested interests? 

So no one will be criminalised, but will insurances be invalidated as was the threat on the blurb I watched ?

I just don't know how these people think they have the right to do so much damage, she needs to be removed and politics in Scotland need to become much more balanced, the situation at the moment is just wrong, cheers.

• Like 2

People get the government they deserve. A subservient, intellectually lazy, weak spirited people get abusive psychopaths. Cause and effect. The psychopaths produce policy and laws that further cow the people. If the people comply, they go further in the hole and the psychos are further emboldened. It's a reinforcement cycle. Once the slide into serfdom has started, it's very hard to stop and reverse. After a few generations the government schooling indoctrinates kids to be good little slaves...you end up owning nothing and being happy...not only Scotland in this mess, though they may be a bit further along to road to cringing serfdom. It's the malaise of our time; we are an overfed, spiritually bankrupt bunch of wasters (most, not all) and we produce government to match. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

so i rent out one semi detached house, older build but well looked after.   no chance i can bring to a C without i suspect many many thousands of pounds into solar.  its already fully double glazed, roof well insulated.  

would have to rip up wooden floors and under floor insulate to improve a wee bit, rip out new kitchen to get cavity done - which i dont like as older houses need to breathe.

very effeciant boiler with all new thermostatic valves on radiators, led lighting throughout.

solar may get me a C but cost versus return means i be in debt many years to do it so not really viable.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, david wood said:

so i rent out one semi detached house, older build but well looked after.   no chance i can bring to a C without i suspect many many thousands of pounds into solar.  its already fully double glazed, roof well insulated.  

would have to rip up wooden floors and under floor insulate to improve a wee bit, rip out new kitchen to get cavity done - which i dont like as older houses need to breathe.

very effeciant boiler with all new thermostatic valves on radiators, led lighting throughout.

solar may get me a C but cost versus return means i be in debt many years to do it so not really viable.

With the leccy prices going up solar gets more appealing? Only problem is the panels have gone up in price too.

• Like 1