Energy costs

eggsarascal

10 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Big fracking feature on Newsnight....

Nudging or journalism?

People ARE talking about options and fracking is one. I don’t like it but I believe it is going to become a mainstream option. 

it caused earthquakes round the Blackpool/Fleetwood area when they tried it 

Just now, eggsarascal said:

Mining caused subsidence, we needed in then and we need our own gas now. What do you suggest we do?

I suggest we do fracking and open more oil and gas fields as soon as possible.

build some storage space for the gas. Do it as a government thing so it belongs to us. We could then be energy secure and sell any left over if it’s there.

In the meantime build 20 nuclear plants or something like that. Make hydrogen with the excess electric and use that for heating! 
wouldn’t work obviously but just a thought

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

I suggest we do fracking and open more oil and gas fields as soon as possible.

build some storage space for the gas. Do it as a government thing so it belongs to us. We could then be energy secure and sell any left over if it’s there.

In the meantime build 20 nuclear plants or something like that. Make hydrogen with the excess electric and use that for heating! 
wouldn’t work obviously but just a thought

If I'm wrong trig will put me right, the big oil companies won't invest in the UK. 20 nuclear plants, you're having a laugh! We need our own supply now, it's costing a fortune and if Putin puts the pressure on (pun intended) we'll be snookered.

• Like 1

The Daily Telegraph says the government is preparing to approve six North Sea gas and oil fields this year.

It says Chancellor Rishi Sunak has asked the business secretary to fast-track the licences because of concern in the Treasury about the economic impact of making the UK a net-zero carbon emitter by 2050.

A Whitehall source said North Sea resources were important - not only for jobs and tax revenue - but also for domestic energy security.

25 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

The Daily Telegraph says the government is preparing to approve six North Sea gas and oil fields this year.

It says Chancellor Rishi Sunak has asked the business secretary to fast-track the licences because of concern in the Treasury about the economic impact of making the UK a net-zero carbon emitter by 2050.

A Whitehall source said North Sea resources were important - not only for jobs and tax revenue - but also for domestic energy security.

Doesn't seem to match up with a government with a supposedly green agenda. 

Much like the US, the UK has a fossil fuel addiction. It's hard to win elections when you're telling the vast majority of the electorate that they need to completely change their heating (source) as well as properly insulate their homes.

• Like 3

If I'm wrong trig will put me right, the big oil companies won't invest in the UK. 20 nuclear plants, you're having a laugh! We need our own supply now, it's costing a fortune and if Putin puts the pressure on (pun intended) we'll be snookered.

I’m certainly no expert, mind.

The Big Oil Companies would love to exploit our reserves but I think the current politics and uncertainty of the UK is very off-putting. No such issues over in Norway and they’re running flat out opening new fields and re-developing old ones. We’ve never been so busy and have been hiring like crazy. The Big players like BP and ConocoPhillips are investing huge amounts.

The British Government has always been keen to down play what reserves we have in predominantly Scottish Waters due to independence fears. As long as that still hangs over our heads I can’t see there being any real investment in the O&G fields.

If the SNP get independence I can’t see that being a positive sign for the Operators either, not with the SNPs tax tax tax mindset.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Big J said:

Doesn't seem to match up with a government with a supposedly green agenda. 

Much like the US, the UK has a fossil fuel addiction. It's hard to win elections when you're telling the vast majority of the electorate that they need to completely change their heating (source) as well as properly insulate their homes.

I doubt even the most avid Conservative supporter is surprised though 

Just yesterday the promised new funding for the NHS got stalled by the Treasury 

Do you need a hand out in Sweden 😆

• Haha 1

I agree. It’s a frightening place these days. Covid has allowed almost every western country to impose fascist policies without much resistance at all. It does not help when you’ve half the nation (and half this forum) wanking them off as the do so. (You know who you are) 

But Canada is a vast country where you can just vanish if you so wished. But re-emerge and want a bone set? No vaccine? Well fark you.

We’re sleep waking into this. And the usual suspects are scoffing the whole time. The Twat here who blows with the wind is finally seeing the writing on the wall. He really is a simp. 🤮🤣

So people who have different opinions and views to yours are wrong? Mmmmmm yeah ok