Would you fit a biomass boiler without the RHI?

35 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

Totally hopeless and wouldn’t have gone there without the payback.

Most things Green have a lot to answer for, and few would entertain going Green with the hassle unless they were incentivised.

This thread links up very nicely in some respects to the 'going off grid' thread, both very interesting and both very quickly have gone right over my head. cheers.

1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

This thread links up very nicely in some respects to the 'going off grid' thread, both very interesting and both very quickly have gone right over my head. cheers.

I'm still hoping for some input from those truly off grid and having generators to pop by with some experiences and costs on that thread, I'll be thinking of @Baldbloke's 20kW  and 50 MWh annual production to compare with my £10k panels and battery when I revisit some of @agg221's points

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I'm still hoping for some input from those truly off grid and having generators to pop by with some experiences and costs on that thread, I'll be thinking of @Baldbloke's 20kW  and 50 MWh annual production to compare with my £10k panels and battery when I revisit some of @agg221's points

Firstly how do you do that @ baldbloke thing 😃

Yours and agg's conversation was way over my head, I am considering solar and batteries in the spring but maybe just for a lot of 12v lighting at first or perhaps with inverter of limited emergency power.

When I recently looked at the subject it was the complicated control systems that I quickly realised that I don't have a hope of understanding and wouldn't want to have to depend on others for maintenance.

In the spring I will probably contact my nearest installer for advice and possibly a survey. cheers.

Large scale renewable generation is said to be cheaper than fossil fuel now though?

And for domestic bills fossil fuel  industry costs are subsidized  indirectly?

Like Drax, where they import wood for fuel from abroad using boats and marine diesel?

Sounds a bit like electric cars with diesel generators.

• Thanks 1

Firstly how do you do that @ baldbloke thing [emoji2]

Yours and agg's conversation was way over my head, I am considering solar and batteries in the spring but maybe just for a lot of 12v lighting at first or perhaps with inverter of limited emergency power.
When I recently looked at the subject it was the complicated control systems that I quickly realised that I don't have a hope of understanding and wouldn't want to have to depend on others for maintenance.
In the spring I will probably contact my nearest installer for advice and possibly a survey. cheers.

With modern LEDs your electric bill for lights alone will be minimal. Probably best to have solar roof pipes that directly feed into your hot water immersion tank to save on heating water, as the subsidy for electric isn’t really worth the effort nowadays.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

With modern LEDs your electric bill for lights alone will be minimal. Probably best to have solar roof pipes that directly feed into your hot water immersion tank to save on heating water, as the subsidy for electric isn’t really worth the effort nowadays.

Yep, one of my neighbours has the solar water panel, it works great and was a condition of planning permission but unfortunately where I am the sun goes behind the hill for a couple of months a year.

And yes I'm in the middle of setting up a simple 12v system for outdoor LED lighting, at least it'll be a start👍

• Like 1