Would you fit a biomass boiler without the RHI?

A neighbour was quizzing me about fitting fitting a biomass boiler and thermal store. He cant be doing with the excessive costs of instal from using approved suppliers and has plenty of trees to keep him going. He has no central heating at present and runs three wood-burning stoves. His hope is easier to manage log sizes due them being larger and more convenient fire loading times due to the thermal store. 

Thought on the matter?

To answer the question in the title - yes, I did.

I had mine installed several years before the commercial RHI tarif was rolled out (which I think was early 2010?) and at a time when all the apparent wisdom was that it was a pipe dream to even expect an RHI tariff.  There was a small grant payment available though but, as you say, that was likely swallowed up in the cartel pricing associated with accredited equipment and installer.

When we did it, it coincided with a significant house extension and the requirement to replace a +/- 30 year old oil boiler which had (genuinely) broken down on 3 consecutive Christmas eves 🤣  So, whilst a very big consideration was getting off oil, it had to coincide with the removal of a genuinely pooped system rather than pulling a system out ½ way through its anticipated life cycle.

So. technically, if the question was would you, then I'd answer yes, because I did.

Would I do it again?

Probably yes and possibly regardless of any grant incentive - for the reasons you allude to.

If fuel source is ready and available, if the existing system is pooped (or there isn't one) and if the life style is suitable to cope with a biomass system - then yes I would do it again - regardless of RHI.

Getting off oil, replacing a obsolescent system and - perhaps most important - being able / willing to adjust lifestyle to accommodate biomass would be my 3 main check items...

• Like 6

There still seems to be plenty going in without RHI. If he already uses log burners I would definitely say yes as a biomass boiler will be a lot more efficient. Although it will need regularly topping up compared to woodchip, oil, etc.

I should have included....

If poss and suitable, maybe consider a secondary circuit either PV or thermal as a 'pump primer' for the Summer months.  I've got 2 flat thermal panels (in hindsight I should have gone for tubes) and on a good day in the Summer they provide a full tank of passive heat!

Having a third input (elect immersion) also adds redundancy and has got us out of trouble when the burner had a snag.  I haven't done it yet, but since the smart meter was fitted it would be interesting to see what the cost comparisons are running elec immersion when solar PV is running hot.

System redundancy - well worth a thought.  

• Like 2

Interesting thread, we don't have central heating either.

I wonder if you were starting from scratch, and had the upfront ££££ (which we don't really), would you not be tempted by a system with less human input, incase you're sick/injured/away for the weekend/wife at home on her own. Maybe ground or air source heat pump, and solar pv to run some of it. Maybe large storage tank, or batteries.

Then you can still run the stoves when you please for extra heat.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, scbk said:

a system with less human input, incase you're sick/injured/away for the weekend/wife at home on her own

That is a key component of being willing to adjust existing or expected lifestyle to better suit a biomass system which may have very different levels of 'convenience' than those we have become accustomed to.

We have a bit of drama every time the in-laws come.  There is hot water once per day and when it's gone it's gone - that has something to do with me being tight though since I could make it 24/7 but choose not to.  MiL does not likey....

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, scbk said:

Interesting thread, we don't have central heating either.

I wonder if you were starting from scratch, and had the upfront ££££ (which we don't really), would you not be tempted by a system with less human input, incase you're sick/injured/away for the weekend/wife at home on her own. Maybe ground or air source heat pump, and solar pv to run some of it. Maybe large storage tank, or batteries.

Then you can still run the stoves when you please for extra heat.

Its an old place with no wall insulation so a heap pump would probably not be a good option for them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul in the woods said:

On that note, what happens if/when there's a power cut, and is that a consideration in this case? With a stand alone wood burner you can at least heat, cook, warm a damp flannel.

Fair comment but in recent years the power supply has been very reliable out here. Used to be shocker but the problem section got sorted. I will mention that to him though