Husqvarna battery charger fault

monkeybusiness

• 8 months later...

Gents, I have my QC330 from 2015, working fine, but yesterday it started to behave strange - looks like it starts charging, then red exclamation mark appears for a few seconds, then again re-starts like a charging, repeats the same - few seconds like charging, then red exclamation... would not bother and buy a new one, but surprisingly, dealers do not have _any_ QC330, QC500, batteries... I grabbed last QC250 stock, whats going on here?

I took the QC330 appart, but it is so complicated design its probably not possible to repair without schematics or something. Would be fair form HQ if they publish doc, if they can not supply the chargers, without them the tools are useless.

33 minutes ago, covex said:

Gents, I have my QC330 from 2015, working fine, but yesterday it started to behave strange - looks like it starts charging, then red exclamation mark appears for a few seconds, then again re-starts like a charging, repeats the same - few seconds like charging, then red exclamation... would not bother and buy a new one, but surprisingly, dealers do not have _any_ QC330, QC500, batteries... I grabbed last QC250 stock, whats going on here?

I took the QC330 appart, but it is so complicated design its probably not possible to repair without schematics or something. Would be fair form HQ if they publish doc, if they can not supply the chargers, without them the tools are useless.

Does the charger do the same regardless of the battery you put in it?

12 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Usually when that happens it's a battery issue ime. I think it's to do with the battery getting too hot but I can't be certain of that. When chargers fail they usually just do nothing. 

We have a few qc500 chargers but I would try to test your battery first.

My first thought was a heated battery.

I had a similar result when I experimented on how quickly I could discharge a bli200x battery crosscutting gnarley oak.

On 03/09/2022 at 09:02, Bolt said:

My first thought was a heated battery.

I had a similar result when I experimented on how quickly I could discharge a bli200x battery crosscutting gnarley oak.

No, all batteries are doing the same in this QC330, new QC250 charges them just fine. I suspect the thermal sensor in the charger got crazy.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi folks. I bought a Husky 540iXP with a BLi300 battery and QC330 charger in December '21. 15 months later the charger stopped working. I sent it back to Sam Turner & Sons who kindly replaced it with a new one (despite it being out of warranty). Just over a month ago, the same thing happened - charger suddenly stopped working (no flashing lights or anything, just didn't work) and again ST took it back but they've just told me "Despite our best efforts, Husqvarna will not warrant this as goodwill a second time unfortunately." Seems like there's a (design) fault with this charger so - despite it being well out of warranty - I'm gutted that Husqvarna won't replace it. I'm loathe to spend another £120 on a new charger. I love the saw but am now feeling I should maybe replace it with one with a charger that's going to last more than 2 years...
Any thoughts / advice on what I should do? Thanks, Rick

The husky fast chargers are total crap - I had exactly the same issue. Apparently it is an internal fuse that blows but it needs so to be soldered in so isn’t repairable (but this is only what I’ve heard). 
The cheaper husky non-fast chargers are seemingly more reliable!

Husqvarna tend not to replace warranty items for some reason. We get far more of them coming back than the Stihl chargers. Not sure what the problem is. I've had 3 come back this week. Our problem is people won't take the knackered ones home and we have to get rid of them. Got about 40 sat around waiting for disposal. It's the same with batteries. We get far more Husky ones coming back than Stihl and they are also sat around waiting for disposal. Neither Stihl or Husqvarna can give us a clear answer on how to get rid of them. It's rather frustrating 😒 

9 hours ago, gand said:

Husqvarna tend not to replace warranty items for some reason. We get far more of them coming back than the Stihl chargers. Not sure what the problem is. I've had 3 come back this week. Our problem is people won't take the knackered ones home and we have to get rid of them. Got about 40 sat around waiting for disposal. It's the same with batteries. We get far more Husky ones coming back than Stihl and they are also sat around waiting for disposal. Neither Stihl or Husqvarna can give us a clear answer on how to get rid of them. It's rather frustrating 😒 

That's interesting.

From what I understand it's the fast charging that means the electronics have to be complicated, to avoid over heating. I have opened up a failed Ferrex charger and have not been able to see any obvious damage. I shall take it to the repair cafe and ask one of the electronics people to have a look. They are very good but do give up on highly integrated stuff like flat screen TVs if nothing is obviously wrong.

In the meanwhile if you know the number of cells a generic low current charger should work. 18V packs are strings of 5 cells in series often two parallel strings. I would still not charge indoors just in case. In fact I charge mine individually to 4.15V.

The batteries are nearly always packs of 18650 lithium manganese cobalt cells and if one fails it can mean the whole pack can. While the pack will be spot welded you can buy the cells with solder tags for £4.5 and solder them in to the nickel strips (best not to apply heat to the cells).

I have dismantled an 80V battery from a 2016 mower and 50% of the cells were still good, my Ferrex battery had one bad cell but I was a bit hamfisted taking it apart and that made it difficult to reassemble as each cell has a pair of wires connected to the battery management system.

• Like 2