COP26

kevinjohnsonmbe

Has there been any COP26 chatter anywhere else on the site that I may have missed?  Or is it just such a terminally dull PR stunt for the talking heads that it is unworthy of AT bandwidth??

Am I :

(a) correct in thinking Boris tied UK financial contribution to climate change amelioration directly to UK GDP?

(b) alone in thinking it is patently BIZARRE to link financial aid to climate change to GDP when GDP is defined by expansion, manufacturing and consumption - EXACTLY the elements of human behaviour which are driving climate change....

Is this politicians making a balls up again or is it just a demonstration of my obvious ignorance?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cant say I even follow this sort of event anymore. They will waffle on and sound well meaning but unlikely to make more than token gestures to the problems at hand. Politics is so short term most just kick things down the road for the next sucker. 

Happy to be proved wrong though as I am desperate to see major changes

This sums up how serious our leader appears to take it

safe_image.jpg

• Like 5

Just another way to push their own agendas. Bit off putting for me is the World Economic Forum is punting it at the top of their website so clearly it works in with whatever they are up to..

I mean the whole thing is just bollocks isn't it...?  I'm not even interested enough to find out.

image.thumb.png.b91aa6fe4bf7d33fb0d8657e1335b59e.png

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Better hope it's all talk. Serious action on global warming will cause you to own nothing and be happy. 

You'd rather carry on as we are and see the death of hundreds of millions within your lifetime? 

19 minutes ago, peds said:

You'd rather carry on as we are and see the death of hundreds of millions within your lifetime? 

Virtue signaling. The cost of this CO2 reduction will fall on the private sector and bankrupt people. I'm paying an extra fiver to fill the tank of my very efficient wee van now. An extra 50 cents to fill a jerrycan for the saws. Next year it will be another fiver and another fifty cents. Electricity bill is set to rise €300 next year. At present, this is absorbable. Five years down the road, it may not be. Many of my clients are fixed income. I either have to raise my rates and pass the cost on to them, or eat the cost, or split it. If I raise the rate, I lose work. If I don't raise the rate, I earn less. It's all fine for the Davos crowd. Not so for millions of peope like me...and that's just the fuel/energy costs, the knock on effect to the economy is rising costs across the board. The economy is already frigile enough after Covid, debt ridden, unbalanced. This will bankrupt people, make no mistake. Meanwhile China, Russia and India thumb their noses at this nonsense...and what changes? Nothing. I have to eat therefore I have to work, therefore I have to drive, therefore I have to burn deisel. Still going to burn the same amount, just going to be poorer every year... Still, at least I'll be "doing my part" or whatever, to save the lives of hundreds of millions of people yet to be born in the third world, I suppose..

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Rob D said:

Better than nowt I guess!

Arguement was that the protection given of a larger no fishing  zone, then spills out into surrounding waters which feed migratory shoals , so , benefiting the ocean species and fishing industry - plus more for Ecuadorian Navy to patrol !    K