Tracked Chipper Comparison.

paddyvero

It would be interesting to know how much petrol it uses a day when used in anger, any chance of monitoring it and letting us know? Really curious to know how these new petrol chippers compare to the old diesel ones.

Bob

I have the older diesel 230 vtr and the new petrol 230 is no where near as good. Had I had a 150 and then tried the petrol 230 it would be a step up but to go from a 230 diesel to a petrol would be a step backwards for me.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I’ve often wondered why 6-8” chipper engines aren’t 100hp. Loads of car engines are that sort of power and perfectly reasonably sized.

Possibly for the same reason most small tractors aren't 100hp.

Car HP and industrial HP are kind of different. Compare a 600HP bulldozer engine to a 600HP sports car engine. Stick the sports car engine in the bulldozer, and it will power it just fine... For a couple of hours. Then it will burn out. Whereas the proper bulldozer engine will run at 80% full output all day long, every day, for decades. Heavier block, lower revs, more torque, just built differently.

On a smaller scale, compare a 5.5HP 55cc chainsaw motor with a 5.5HP 200cc B&S lawnmower motor. Same HP, but four times the displacement. Four times the torque, a quarter of the revs, lasts four times as long, doing the same work.

The trade off is weight. HP for HP industrial motors tend to be heavier.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Possibly for the same reason most small tractors aren't 100hp.

Car HP and industrial HP are kind of different. Compare a 600HP bulldozer engine to a 600HP sports car engine. Stick the sports car engine in the bulldozer, and it will power it just fine... For a couple of hours. Then it will burn out. Whereas the proper bulldozer engine will run at 80% full output all day long, every day, for decades. Heavier block, lower revs, more torque, just built differently.

On a smaller scale, compare a 5.5HP 55cc chainsaw motor with a 5.5HP 200cc B&S lawnmower motor. Same HP, but four times the displacement. Four times the torque, a quarter of the revs, lasts four times as long, doing the same work.

The trade off is weight. HP for HP industrial motors tend to be heavier.

Yeah. I understand the need for them to be running relatively lazily. My example 100hp engine could run at 50hp and still be ahead of the current offerings. And I was being conservative with 100hp. Loads of cars are 150hp, 200hp. One of those doing 75hp would surely be sustainable?

Yeh, Id imagine if the 35hp Diesel was still avaiable then it would be a no brainer, but the current 25hp diesel just isnt enough power in a 6inch machine in my opinion. 

Im keeping my 35hp 230 vtr chipper going at all cost mate as I love it.

16 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Yeah. I understand the need for them to be running relatively lazily. My example 100hp engine could run at 50hp and still be ahead of the current offerings. And I was being conservative with 100hp. Loads of cars are 150hp, 200hp. One of those doing 75hp would surely be sustainable?

Probably right. I wish I was redneck enough to build one myself...

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

I’ve often wondered why 6-8” chipper engines aren’t 100hp. Loads of car engines are that sort of power and perfectly reasonably sized.

I think in normal use they spend a lot of chipping time at about 10hp on brash, working on the basis that 35hp is when the stress control cuts in.