Tracked Chipper Comparison.

paddyvero

I got talking to a New Zealander some years ago, over here on holiday and went to The New Forest Show. He asked what kind of treework people did if they only had 6" machines.......he reckoned he had more hp in his starter motor than we put into the engine! 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I got talking to a New Zealander some years ago, over here on holiday and went to The New Forest Show. He asked what kind of treework people did if they only had 6" machines.......he reckoned he had more hp in his starter motor than we put into the engine! 

I was visiting my bro several years ago ( Western Australia ) and everything I saw was whole tree chippers . ( there being no need for fire wood in that state ) .

Just now, Stubby said:

I was visiting my bro several years ago ( Western Australia ) and everything I saw was whole tree chippers . ( there being no need for fire wood in that state ) .

That somes it up really, timber production and Arboriculture are two different enterprises and neither mix etc.

• Like 2

If its just between those two, see what other specifications are offered that suit your needs/make the machine work better for you.

When i was looking for the same spec machine, i wanted retractable tracks to squeeze into places (and allow the chipper and grinder to sit side by side on the trailer) and a hydraulic winch (not electric!)

At the time, TW diddnt do retractable tracks on the 280, or offer a hydraulic winch (Electric only) 

Först had a bit of a hit and miss reputation on line and would only offer electric winchs.

So i went for a Jensen 540 with upgraded 50hp motor, retractable tracks and 3500kg ramsey hyd winch. According to others it out chips the TW280

The 55hp först does sound good on paper, i would be looking very closely at that if needing to swap.

Looking back, the retractable tracks have been incredibly important for me, likewise the winch.

7 hours ago, PeteB said:

We decided not to export to that side of the pond. I'd love the Sales job, if they did change their mind! I'd consider a GreenMech,  take it yourself and show the locals the benefit of buying British! 

Greenmech not an option. I want dealer support locally.

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I rarely get involved in these this or that debates, but…

Having owned both a TW and a Forst I’d get a TW every single time.

Thanks Mick. Im leaning towards the Timberwolf, only really put off by the petrol motor and its fuel consumption. Its a $13k cheaper machine though, thats alot of fuel! 

1 minute ago, paddyvero said:

Thanks Mick. Im leaning towards the Timberwolf, only really put off by the petrol motor and its fuel consumption. Its a $13k cheaper machine though, thats alot of fuel! 

No bother, just make you’re own decision, don’t be swayed too much by internet opinions like mine.