Chainsaw For Working in UK Forestry Advice

Jamie Jones

20 minutes ago, Stere said:

Makitas ea6100 and ea7900 you have not up  to the job?

Not some much a question of being up to the job.

I have been very impressed with both the Dolmar 6100 & 7910… but if I get into forestry work for the winter period when the another work is quieter.

Then I will need a saw or saw combo that has back up and easy access to parts. 
The Dolmars are a great reliable chainsaws and for the prices I have paid. They are awesome. But if I am going to be flat out on a contract, then I can’t afford for a saw to go down on me and not be back on the quickly, and access to parts would be a much slower process. Normally that wouldn’t be an issue. So I would plan on the Dolmars being my back up.

Edited by Jamie Jones
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, doobin said:

Pretty much the same as above, except I run an Echo cs501sx with 16” picco bar and an Ms462 with bars from 20 to 36. 

A lot of jobs I too never touch the bigger saw, but when you need it you need it. 

You’ll always need a backup saw when doing forestry so you might as well have a light saw for limbing and smaller fells. Save your back, you only get one! 

Yes i all ways have at least 3 saws with me a 261, 461 and a battered up well used 260 that just wont die, its been thrashed day in day out when i first got it 2009, it was my main saw on first thinings and infected Larch i would be very supprised if it has had over a £100 spent on it over the years, besides drive sprockets, bars, chains and a couple of plugs its been bomb proof, Looked at the Echo,s a few year back and the 501 felt ok, but i was put off by the slightly more weight and a tad less power than the 261 and when i asked the dealer about parts availabilaty he seemed very unsure ?? so that just put me off Echos all together, i do believe they are quite good saws, but i need to get rid of some saws and not buy any more,

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Yes i all ways have at least 3 saws with me a 261, 461 and a battered up well used 260 that just wont die, its been thrashed day in day out when i first got it 2009, it was my main saw on first thinings and infected Larch i would be very supprised if it has had over a £100 spent on it over the years, besides drive sprockets, bars, chains and a couple of plugs its been bomb proof, Looked at the Echo,s a few year back and the 501 felt ok, but i was put off by the slightly more weight and a tad less power than the 261 and when i asked the dealer about parts availabilaty he seemed very unsure ?? so that just put me off Echos all together, i do believe they are quite good saws, but i need to get rid of some saws and not buy any more,

The echo is less weight than the ms261. It is slightly more weight but has a good deal more power than the ms241, which I loved but is an unreliable saw, both of mine ate crankshafts and bearings. 

A bit of an oddity but the fact that it can run a picco chain unleashes a bit more power still.  The ms241 was by far more ergonomic but I’ve grown to love the echo, it’s a right little ripper. 

Primarily it’s my very light yet powerful saw that I can keep on the digger. The ms261 has more power and is a nice saw but the weight was my main consideration. It feels like a lump compared to the echo, and if I need power I’m happy to ‘suffer’ the ms462- it’s a superb saw and really nippy. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

I will hold my hand up and stand corrected, i was given a 400 for 2 days in march to use, and lad who let me use it just said it was 65cc and that is about all i know about them, apart from feeling very nice to use,,, 

No biggie bud 👍

• Like 1