Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

7 minutes ago, Justme said:

True for bulk bags in general.

But most builders bags are the small ones.

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the volume is stated honestly if using them to sell firewood in. I see so many that advertise per cube but then the bag sizes come up smaller.

Does make it more difficult for customers to assess like for like with supplier too

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the volume is stated honestly if using them to sell firewood in. I see so many that advertise per cube but then the bag sizes come up smaller.

Does make it more difficult for customers to assess like for like with supplier too

https://logwisefirewood.co.uk/buy-firewood/softwood-logs/

Was just having a look online at sizes and prices - just picked this one at random but the price did take me back a bit for softwood logs...

• Like 1

One of the local suppliers here is doing 1.5 cubic bags (approx equivalent to 1t) of softwood for £130 or hardwood for £160; free local delivery. One of my neighbours just got a delivery of 1.5 bags of hardwood and the quantity was way more than expected. Looks more like 2.5 bags and really nice looking wood too 👍

I messaged them to get a few bags myself ...... "Sorry, we're not taking on any more new customers this year" 😖  Seems to be the way things are going.

2 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

https://logwisefirewood.co.uk/buy-firewood/softwood-logs/

Was just having a look online at sizes and prices - just picked this one at random but the price did take me back a bit for softwood logs...

I love the "Dried by the power of the wind and sun". It's great marketing - softwood page doesn't mention the dirty word conifer either.

3 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Which is as it should be in my view. Nothing wrong with softwood either - just as long as it's cheaper!

Yes and dried to 20%mc by the tonne is worth slightly more than hardwood. At 4kWh to the kilo and gas at 15p a kWh what does that make it worth.

Into October and still too warm to light up yet and sunny enough not to have bought electricity for 210 days running so far.

• Like 5

I read yesterday OfGem have warned or electric generator companies that gas rationing may be needed, and with 40-60% of our electricity coming from gas power stations that means black outs.  Tbh that kinda seems odd to me.... Without the electric the boiler goes off so rationing gas to the generators and keeping it for households still doesn't keep people warm, but that's what I read.

I've a spare stove we took out of mum's last winter....hmm, maybe about January I should shove it on eBay.  I could include a handful of logs even!