Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

11 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Me here again and I have to ask the question again now that there are abundant U turns on Fracking, Nuclear, Oil and Gas .  A lot of these will take time to implement in the meantime many vulnerable people are having to choose between food and heat.  Surely  a government push for firewood is in order to alleviate the situation?  It ticks a lot of the green boxes, renewable and environmentally friendly if done correctly 

Better insulation is key, not alternative energy sources. Retain the heat you have, rather than just pumping more and more in.

• Like 4

On 08/03/2022 at 20:40, Paul in the woods said:

Head anything up to about 20m from the highest bit of the stream I own to the lowest, but in reality I'd use much less. Flow, I've no idea but I would not wade across the stream when it's in full flow and it moves quite large tree trunks. No fish to worry about.

What appeals to me most is the stream is often in full flood when I need the energy most in winter and it's 24/7 week in week out, unlike solar and wind.

For hydro to be a viable investment it needs to be able to operate as much as possible.  Consequently, it is not the 'full flood' flows which are important, but those at the lower end of the flow regime.  We are approaching the low flow season (hopefully) so it is a good time to start taking some measurements if it is a serious consideration.

How you go about measuring the flow depends on the size of the stream at the potential point of abstraction.  In an ideal world I would try and reduce it to a metre or so with an informal structure built out of stone, river bed and polythene sheet etc., and then install what is called a thin plate weir.  This can be made of plywood if you don't have any steel sheet etc available.  Again, depending on the size of the channel/stream I would usually use a 90 degree notch weir - ie a 90 degree triangular notch cut out of the plate. 

Flow can then be calculated using the following equation:

Q (flow) = 1.38 x h^2.5

where h is the head or height of water above the base of the notch.  Due to drawdown over the weir (arising from what is called the velocity head) it is important that the level of the water is measured a short distance upstream of the weir notch, but still in the 'flat topped' section of the channel where flow has backed up from the weir.

V-Notch-Weir.gif

For example, if you measure the height of the water to be 0.2 metres above the base of the notch then the resultant flow is 1.38 x (0.2^2.5), which is

1.38 x 0.01789

which gives 0.0247 metres cubed per second, equivalent to 24.7 litres per second (which is actually quite a lot of water)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Big J said:

Better insulation is key, not alternative energy sources. Retain the heat you have, rather than just pumping more and more in.

Not arguing with that, just saying that a quick fix for some people in certain areas is to install a wood stove which can be done without the big disruption of full insulation, ground source heat pumps etc

Well, I don’t know about optimistic, but at the very least I want to be able to process odds and sods for my own use with ease. I’m also considering starting doing a few bags for the locals again- as high oil prices will make wood much more attractive.

D16D35A4-7587-4CDC-8C43-7D4F08F87890.jpeg

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Well, I don’t know about optimistic, but at the very least I want to be able to process odds and sods for my own use with ease. I’m also considering starting doing a few bags for the locals again- as high oil prices will make wood much more attractive.

D16D35A4-7587-4CDC-8C43-7D4F08F87890.jpeg

Just had a look at it on YouTube 

a neat idea with the cone splitter to save on hydraulics.  And a reasonably safe way of presenting the log to be split by the cone which normally seems to be asking for trouble with loose clothing or log spinning.  Good to see the stop button in a sensible place too

20 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Just had a look at it on YouTube 

a neat idea with the cone splitter to save on hydraulics.  And a reasonably safe way of presenting the log to be split by the cone which normally seems to be asking for trouble with loose clothing or log spinning.  Good to see the stop button in a sensible place too

Mine is the PTO version, and has a foot pedal to disconnect drive in an emergency.

Apparently they are not producing them anymore, as it's too much effort to meet new safety standards. I thought the guarding around the blade in particular was very well designed. Anyhow, Davies Implements are the only dealer with any stock left so if you want one, get em quick before they're gone.

26hp runs it great. The TCT blade cuts through 10" timber like butter- an often exaggerated phrase but apt in this instance. With two guys it's surprisingly efficient. As you say, great for the little bits that are a pain in the butt with a chainsaw.

10 hours ago, Billhook said:

Not arguing with that, just saying that a quick fix for some people in certain areas is to install a wood stove which can be done without the big disruption of full insulation, ground source heat pumps etc

Heard today from a chap doing our tiling that fibreglass insulation cost is up 100% since the start of the war in Ukraine.

Heard today from a chap doing our tiling that fibreglass insulation cost is up 100% since the start of the war in Ukraine.
Bugger!
Knew I should have bought the rest of what I need to finish redoing the loft months ago before things all kicked off.

8 hours ago, sime42 said:

Bugger!
Knew I should have bought the rest of what I need to finish redoing the loft months ago before things all kicked off.

Some years ago we used this icynene foam which has been  fantastic, no chemical smells as it is water based and it breathes like a sponge allowing wood to breathe whilst stopping draughts

• Like 3

Some years ago we used this icynene foam which has been  fantastic, no chemical smells as it is water based and it breathes like a sponge allowing wood to breathe whilst stopping draughts

That's food for thought, thanks. It looks good but the permanence of the stuff would make me uneasy.
  • Like 1