New E10 Fuel

Jamie Jones

New E10 Fuel
My local petrol station today now only has E10 Petrol... Normal Unleaded (Ron95) and Super/premium Unleaded (Ron97) has all gone from the forecourt.
So today was the first time using it. Started off with the last of the old unleaded and then switched to the new E10. The lad working for me brought the Stihl FS460 Strimmer over saying that it has run out partway through the job. Normally that task takes 1 to 2 full tanks and we was on the 4th refill.
I tried to raise it with my Stihl dealer who has said that they had not had any advice or information from Stihl UK and I couldn't get through to their Technical Department to get any advice.
Anyone else found anything strange with this fuel?

E10_0.jpg

• Like 1

Why does E10 increase fuel comsumption don't understand?

Actually says so on the gov site:

Fuel economy

Using E10 petrol can slightly reduce fuel economy (the number of miles you are able to drive on a gallon of fuel). You may see a reduction of around 1%, but it is unlikely to be noticeable in everyday driving.

Other factors – such as your driving style or driving with under-inflated tyres or a roof rack – have a much more significant impact on fuel economy than using E10 petrol.

Learn about the benefits of E10 petrol and use our vehicle checker to confirm whether your vehicle is compatible with...

But must be much bigger effect than 1% to notice the difference....?

Other website reckoned 10%  so for 10% ethanol  if thats true E10 seems pointless?

A real-world study by What Car? suggests the government's plans to introduce new fuel could hit motorists in the pocket

😄

Maybe its worse for 2 stroke for some reason?

Edited by Stere

Article is good on some details with regards to 2 stroke scooters air cooled so relevant for chainsaws:

Are more modern saws etc designed to cope with E10? i.e  built with ethnaol resistant materials such as the fuel lines?

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stere said:

Why does E10 increase fuel comsumption don't understand?

Internal combustion engines are heat engines, they convert heat into motion. Ethanol produces less heat as it burns, because it is already partially oxygenated. So you need more ethanol delivered into the engine than you would petrol for the same performance. If ethanol content is 10% and it has 70% of the calories then it would  be 3% worse by weight, not sure what that is by volume. Anything worse will be to do with changes in engine optimisation of fuel.

• Like 2