Getting rid of ivy!!

john87

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Yup, but it's important to get things in context. 

Multiple question marks and/or exclamation marks at the end of sentence are an indicator that the person who is writing it is a little unhinged, uneducated, or unaware that they're coming over that way.  

I never knew that!!!!!!!

john..

• Haha 3

https://www.facebook.com/groups/128622575070/permalink/10159608271955071/
Worth a look and probably what you want to hear... I did storm call outs for 15 years for the council, I could usually guarantee a few things they would be poplar or willow , a certain notorious avenue of raywoods ash that must of all been the same clone as every one had the worse unions of any trees I've seen or it was a tree dead or alive and covered in ivy.

On the subject of ivy I don’t like the stuff as I found a few times that mature ivy bushes in trees /hedges would attract wasp nests to feed on the nectar .a few times I got badly attacked when up and close to the nest without realising.for some reason they seem to prefer established ivy and privet bushes .

19 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

On the subject of ivy I don’t like the stuff as I found a few times that mature ivy bushes in trees /hedges would attract wasp nests to feed on the nectar .a few times I got badly attacked when up and close to the nest without realising.for some reason they seem to prefer established ivy and privet bushes .

Quite understandable but my interest is in how many bushes and trees are taken out (killed) by high winds due to heavy ivy growth especially in the canopy. 
Driving locally for 80 mile round trip there was much fallen material on roadside with mostly heavy ivy load. 
Very few were without any sign of ivy. 
I look forward to input from arborists who must be extremely busy at this moment with clearing work. 
Please refrain from personal comments which can appear to be verbally abusive or bullying. Especially towards us non-arborists. We scientists are delicate souls and we feel like crying like babies when we receive nasty horrible criticism. 

3 minutes ago, CambridgeJC said:

Quite understandable but my interest is in how many bushes and trees are taken out (killed) by high winds due to heavy ivy growth especially in the canopy. 
Driving locally for 80 mile round trip there was much fallen material on roadside with mostly heavy ivy load. 
Very few were without any sign of ivy. 
I look forward to input from arborists who must be extremely busy at this moment with clearing work. 
Please refrain from personal comments which can appear to be verbally abusive or bullying. Especially towards us non-arborists. We scientists are delicate souls and we feel like crying like babies when we receive nasty horrible criticism. 

Most of what I have seen is actually not covered with ivy but , that does not prove anything  I know . Some of it has been compromised Ash  and some BIG beech where the roots have let go . ( could be fungi related ) Most of the ivy covered stuff has been sorta dross . BUT , I am not sure where I stand now re the pending devastation .   Until you went on your crusade I had not taken much notice of the situation you describe . Now that I look ( damm it , down to you  😁)  I do see a lot of trees covered I ivy . This does not mean that it has always been the case ( as I think it has ) but you have alerted me to it now .  Time will tell me thinks .

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Most of what I have seen is actually not covered with ivy but , that does not prove anything  I know . Some of it has been compromised Ash  and some BIG beech where the roots have let go . ( could be fungi related ) Most of the ivy covered stuff has been sorta dross . BUT , I am not sure where I stand now re the pending devastation .   Until you went on your crusade I had not taken much notice of the situation you describe . Now that I look ( damm it , down to you  😁)  I do see a lot of trees covered I ivy . This does not mean that it has always been the case ( as I think it has ) but you have alerted me to it now .  Time will tell me thinks .

This should stir things up a bit

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

Finally someone who is using his eyes to see and not just his beliefs!!! This is real data. And it does NOT have to fit anyone’s predicted theory, neither for nor against the encroachment of ivy. 
Thanks Stubby. 

We have a very old kitchen outbuilding that has some 15th century brickwork on the North face.  Ivy had been growing up it for many years and several efforts had been made to remove it as it was penetrating the old bricks and the wall was soaking wet.

The large main stem was cut but there was enough moisture in the wall for it to power on.   We tried a strong dose of Roundup and 24D but no effect due to the waxy leaves as has been mentioned.

However a mix of Roundup, Garlon (or Grazon) plus a wetter did kill it in the end.  Best done when actively growing..

Perhaps not a good idea on a tree!

On 22/02/2022 at 18:18, Jack.P said:

Just a small gift for you all…

185B6B74-A5DF-4476-BDDD-792CED78E463.jpeg

• Like 5