Getting rid of ivy!!

john87

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Sorry, what I meant was: what do think is causing all these trees to become so physiologically stressed that ivy has an opportunity to thrive? Plants are opportunists.

I meant to reply here. Its a very good question if its true. I am not qualified to answer with any authority but many of the trees felled by the wind locally show signs of sickness of some sort. I would guess that such trees are weakened and prone to wind damage but my main concern is healthy trees which become susceptible to windfall due to high growth of ivy which I can see all over the locality. I wonder how widespread this is and if arborists over the country also notice this. So far they seem very reluctant to report observations except to state ivy does not kill healthy trees. I find that hard to believe but I remain open to persuasion on the basis of informed observation and supporting evidence. 
There are a number of possibilities for increasing physiological stress but some may demand a review of accepted understanding including whether or not ivy is a cause or an effect of the stress. I am just asking a question and certainly not expressing an opinion. And the question results from my personal observations in the field. Thanks for you considered clarification. Plants are indeed opportunists and that includes ivy of course. Herewith image of ivy and tree windfall yesterday. 

88FDE338-DA38-4BA8-8BE1-61EB9BDE8484.jpeg

6 minutes ago, CambridgeJC said:

Good point. Actually both up and down are geotropism. Up is negative  geotropism and down is positive geotropism. Isn’t this fun???!!!

Yup, but it's important to get things in context. 

Multiple question marks and/or exclamation marks at the end of sentence are an indicator that the person who is writing it is a little unhinged, uneducated, or unaware that they're coming over that way.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Yup, but it's important to get things in context. 

Multiple question marks and/or exclamation marks at the end of sentence are an indicator that the person who is writing it is a little unhinged, uneducated, or unaware that they're coming over that way.  

Thanks. I was not aware of that. I will refrain in future. I have often used that to indicate a certain level of condescension which is in itself quite immature and for which I wholeheartedly apologise. Friends now? Actually I am very disappointed and disheartened by the general level of response to a serious original question in this forum and am inclined now to terminate engagement which will I assume be fully welcomed by certain individuals. I have despite this learned a lot in my short exposure to some of the friendly arborists here and for those who have helped and contributed in good faith I thank you. No need to respond unless equally in good faith. Cheers 

9 minutes ago, CambridgeJC said:

Thanks. I was not aware of that. I will refrain in future. I have often used that to indicate a certain level of condescension which is in itself quite immature and for which I wholeheartedly apologise. Friends now? Actually I am very disappointed and disheartened by the general level of response to a serious original question in this forum and am inclined now to terminate engagement which will I assume be fully welcomed by certain individuals. I have despite this learned a lot in my short exposure to some of the friendly arborists here and for those who have helped and contributed in good faith I thank you. No need to respond unless equally in good faith. Cheers 

Don't be disheartened. I've found that people respond amicably when someone sets out their stall before them; that way there is no ambiguity and you can get to the crux of the matter. 

Best of luck with your quest. 

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

Disappointed and disheartened that we haven’t willingly thrown ourselves into a pointless survey for a guy who prior to his engagement here knew zero about Ivy, trees or anything relevant really?

Your posts were condescending to the point of insult, were we supposed to be impressed and grateful a soi-disant Scientist wanted to explore a theory that we all knew the answer to anyway?

We gave you answers, you weren’t interested unless they fitted your theory formulated one day on a walk.

You learned a lot from the friendly and the non friendly arborists by the way.

• Like 2