Getting rid of ivy!!

john87

I do not believe for one second all this climate change nonsense, but what you say about changes in the way things are managed is exactly correct. It sems that we have been taken over by townie twonks that think the country side looks like it does due to "nature"..

There used to be some lovely open spaces near me, but now the council have embraced all this "nature" nonsense [coupled with the sad facts that the average muppet believes this sort of nonsense] what were once lovely areas, more like parkland, indeed one WAS a park, are now more or less inpenetrable thickets, a haven for nothing but brambles..

john..

• Like 1

Whether you believe in climate change or not there is no doubt that we are not experiencing the harsh winters when I was very young in the fifties amd sixties. We used to get deep snow and drifts up to 12 or more feet here in the south. Almost every year in Devon there was a thick layer of ice on many roads. That hasn’t happened at all for many years. Ok it may be long or short term but it is a fact. And plants react to yearly changes in the seasons. 
So it is not unreasonable to consider this may be a cause of a major change in growth behaviour of any species. 
We can now grow grape vines successfully in the uk. Please don’t dismiss climate change out of hand. There is a lot of evidence for it whatever the cause may be. 
I do not recall seeing ivy growing so high and vigorous as nowadays and am keen to find whether other people are noticing what I see. If so then there are consequences which may be serious for our countryside. Has anyone got old images of woodlands with high rise ivy? 
I will be happy if I am wrong. Overjoyed in fact. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, john87 said:

Prevents air and sunlight reaching the tree surface. Needless to say this pemanent dampness and lack of air does not help the tree one bit. Eventually it smothers the entire thing.. Bye bye tree..

Even i know that.. If a tree was designed to grow all covered up, you would see trees growing down mines.. Funny that, not many trees down mines..

Bit like ivy will cover the ground if you let it, to the exclusion of anything else..

In the summer i will take a photo of a tree well known to me. The bottom 2/3rds looks dead to be honest, with the remaining 20 or so feet looking great.. As the ivy spreads and spreads, more and more of the tree will succumb and that will be the end of it.. [only i will remove the ivy soon, that will sort it]

Terrible invasive stuff..

john..

To be fair I have seen some trees toppled in winter winds that had a good covering . But , here where I live it seems to be the exception .  Did not consider that it was the ivy that had made it grow " leggy" . Thought it was just the way plantation tree grow competing for the light .  

• Like 1

Iiana phobes! 🙂

Don't forget all the ash that is dying from adb will often end up covered in ivy as the crown thins.

Same for any other  tree species struggling with the plethora of new tree diseases around atm.

Maybe ivy is the canary down coal mine?

The debate continues about the pros and cons of our most widespread climbing plant

• Like 2

Big problem with ivy is it covers defects for tree inspection. Base and crown and just had one let go last week, would have been hard to spot the extent of trunk decay ( Larvae in most of it) with the shroud it had. Definately worst aspect of it. K

• Like 3

My wife detests Ivy but I’m not too bothered. We have perhaps 1/2 an acre of Ivy ground cover under mature trees in the front garden which keeps other crap away and saves one area from too much maintenance. It doesn’t seem too keen on attaching itself to the remaining massive beech, limes or sycamores but does like the rowans.
A good hassling with the strimmer seems to keep it at bay. We have an area within the patch where our dogs have a graveyard and an occasional once a year strim keeps that area Ivy free. In another area a horrendous concrete block wall is effectively covered by the stuff and I’d be sad if my wife had her way and found a way to destroy it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

My wife detests Ivy but I’m not too bothered. We have perhaps 1/2 an acre of Ivy ground cover under mature trees in the front garden which keeps other crap away and saves one area from too much maintenance. It doesn’t seem too keen on attaching itself to the remaining massive beech, limes or sycamores but does like the rowans.
A good hassling with the strimmer seems to keep it at bay. We have an area within the patch where our dogs have a graveyard and an occasional once a year strim keeps that area Ivy free. In another area a horrendous concrete block wall is effectively covered by the stuff and I’d be sad if my wife had her way and found a way to destroy it.

Good husbandry 🤣🤣. Using ground cover habit and controlling tree invasion habit. If you let it rip for 20 years or so you could end up with this all over your beautiful trees. Not ideal I guess…but I am told this is not a problem 🥴🥴🥴

CBAA7E0C-ECEC-464D-916F-8422DBCF031B.jpeg

28DBD6A6-10FC-4B4F-9119-13049A84A40C.jpeg

• Like 1

Good husbandry 🤣🤣. Using ground cover habit and controlling tree invasion habit. If you let it rip for 20 years or so you could end up with this all over your beautiful trees. Not ideal I guess…but I am told this is not a problem 🥴🥴🥴

CBAA7E0C-ECEC-464D-916F-8422DBCF031B.thumb.jpeg.54b8342351fe2ae0c98115f49978d842.jpeg

28DBD6A6-10FC-4B4F-9119-13049A84A40C.thumb.jpeg.5a3036ad539bbbce3f4074964507d2cf.jpeg

The odd tendril does try to work its way up but is easy to tear off.

As noted in another Ivy related thread, I believe it’s two kinds of Ivy I have. One is predominantly ground cover and little threat to trees while the other is thicker in the stem and similar to your pictures.

• Like 1