Advice for saw please!

Ren

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

If you want to run an 18" bar ideally you need  a 50cc/60cc saw .  With the woodland work you describe I would get the best pro saw you can afford . You will only be upgrading at a later date so do it now !  Husqvarna 562XP would be my choice .

I never read the bit where he said 18" bar,mines on 15",wouldn,t put 18 on it

Thanks very much for your helpful comments guys. :)

I think pushing the budget to 500 before adding PPE and other bits might be a bit of a reach... but will see what I can do. Will keep eyes open for secondhand saws. I've often been told to always avoid purchasing a used saw... is there any truth to this? They seem like simple-enough machines to me...if you can swap out all the bits.  

A landscaper friend of mine said Stihl and Husky are brill because they can be fixed and serviced by the user for ever. Any thoughts on serviceability / replacement parts for Makita? 

20 minutes ago, gary112 said:

I never read the bit where he said 18" bar,mines on 15",wouldn,t put 18 on it

In his second post . Right at the end . I work on the rule of thumb thing ...divide engine size by 3 will give max bar lenght .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stere said:

Whats the plan for the fields rent them out to a farmer ?

How are you planning 2 remove any logs cut etc?

We're making a market garden to grow veg for the local community :) Don't plan for anything to leave the site. Will need biomass to enter the site though. 

Edited by Ren
  • Like 3

There's someone selling a Husky 254xp not too far from me. He says it's been stripped and a bunch of stuff replaced... one issue with chainbrake. 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Husqvarna 254xp chainsaw at the best online prices at...

A bad idea? 

Edited by Ren
  • Like 1

The best make is what ever is sold by the best local dealer. Service and spares backup are worth far more than saving £50 for a online bargain. 

Boots, trousers and lid are a must, a good trainer will teach you enough to work safely and efficiently, wind blown and dead trees trees can be hard dangerous work if you inexperienced, get taught the basics to keep you alive and learn from there.

• Like 2

There's someone selling a Husky 254xp not too far from me. He says it's been stripped and a bunch of stuff replaced... one issue with chainbrake. 

s-l400.jpg WWW.EBAY.CO.UK
Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Husqvarna 254xp chainsaw at the best online prices at...  

A bad idea? 

If u can afford new go new! You never know how a used saw has been treated. Echo 5yr warranty for domestic use[emoji106]
A pair of Oregon trousers will cost u £75 and you’ll get a decent pair of boots for £100.
  • Like 1

If you can, buy new. You could spend £250 easily on a working second hand Stihl and then find 3 months in you need £150 of parts. The warranty is a must unless you have the mechanical knowledge to fix it yourself. 

I'd pay for training. Doing woodland work I would say is more dangerous than domestic work. Hangers in trees, trees getting hung up, windblown, it's easy to fell a tree but a whole different job to fell it through other trees! 

• Like 2

After much, much, deliberation I've just recently bought a new Echo 390esx, 39cc, 15in bar, would probably be classed as a "pro" type saw rather than "homeowner".

Plainly I can't yet vouch for it's durability, although feedback from owners on here and the 5yr warranty would suggest it won't be an issue, but I've cut a fair bit with it already and it is a delight to use. Been using chainsaws for well over 40yrs and never had a small saw before so was slightly apprehensive about using one but those fears were totally unfounded as regards this small saw anyway as it absolutely flies through anything put in front of it. Then add in the small size, light weight, and effortless starting and it's just been brilliant.

As a footnote, I would have traditionally been a Husqvarna user. First decent saw I used 40 odd years ago was Husqvarna and up until recently my do everything saw was a 266xp, which I will now put in to semi-retirement unless for something huge that needs cutting. But I was recently in my local Husqvarna shop, ironically getting a file to sharpen my new Echo!, and who I would probably have ended up buying a new Husqvarna from if they hadn't been shut, and looking at the 435/440/445 range, I certainly have no regrets about buying the Echo instead!

A wee bit dearer (but not much!), but the Echo actually seems more in keeping with what I would traditionally have consider Husqvarna to be, than the new Husqvarnas!

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 2