Lost job ☹️

SamanthaSunny

I have been away from this site for a few weeks because I have been moving house 😬 I thought I would update my new wee friends on here that the job I was offered before Christmas has fallen through !!! And the reason is WAIT FOR IT ........

His wife does not want a female on the team 😳 I bumped into my new potential boss shopping with his wife and not even 2 hours later I received a call to say my new boss can no longer offer me a job. I understand that family comes first and, yes happy wife, happy life but is this fair ? I value all opinions and I am now questioning whether I will EVER find a place to work. My husband works with plenty of women and I would NEVER try to control who he works around. Any advice please ?

• Sad 7

I thought that it was illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender.
I think so too but even if you win this argument will you want the victory? I agree it stinks but going to employment tribunal is no fun for anyone.

It does sound like a bit of a knee jerk reaction, maybe with a bit of time the wife will come round. Then again maybe they just had a massive row and she'll never warm to you.

Don't give up. Maybe it's saving up and doing CS30/31 yourself?
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Treewolf said:

I thought that it was illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender.

It was a verbal agreement after I introduced myself to the team whilst they were working and begged for a chance to prove myself. There was no job advertised 🙂 i don’t want to cause any bad feelings truly, life’s too precious to waste on anger. I’m just concerned now that I will be turned down again because I’m a woman  ☹️

4 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I think so too but even if you win this argument will you want the victory? I agree it stinks but going to employment tribunal is no fun for anyone.

It does sound like a bit of a knee jerk reaction, maybe with a bit of time the wife will come round. Then again maybe they just had a massive row and she'll never warm to you.

Don't give up. Maybe it's saving up and doing CS30/31 yourself?

I am paying for my own courses Dan I would not expect any help I just wanted to watch and learn on the job. I would never cause trouble like tribunals because we all have to find a happy balance between home life and work so I understand he had to let me go. My main concern is will I ever get a job as a tree surgeon now or will every employer see me as a problem ? 

• Like 1