Poll on two rope technique.

Mick Dempsey

Are you using the new two rope technique when you climb?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using two rope technique when you climb?

• Yes, nearly all the time.
    • Almost never.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/02/21 at 16:57

39 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Post a video of you doing that so we can all learn from it please.

Try a 50 leylandii with branches every 6 inches first, that should be a lot of fun. I'm sure you will be in a fit state to work in once you reach the top.

Out of interest, what would your usual approach be to climbing a 50ft leylandii with branches every 6 inches? 

Spike up removing all the small crap and the cut n chuck stuff on the way up to tip

then drop down with rigging line in and sort the bigger and awkward stuff back up to the top.

top out

work timber back down until it can be felled

fell

drink tea.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Will C said:

Spike up removing all the small crap and the cut n chuck stuff on the way up to tip

then drop down with rigging line in and sort the bigger and awkward stuff back up to the top.

top out

fell

drink tea.

Unless you're only taking the top out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Will C said:

top out

fell

drink tea.

I like your way of thinking, any work on a leylandii needs to be a fell :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Yea, I agree. I wouldn't say compromising safety should be a priority for a few seconds extra though. I'm not insinuating anything about anyone's climbing here but it shouldn't take more than 3 minutes at the start of a climb to factor in a second anchor and it shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to fling a long positional strop around a branch. 

From the draft AA guide they say you can drop to one anchor when stationary on a branch etc to change anchors which makes sense. In industry climbers aren't sent up with 3 anchors but transition one of the two when stationary. 

It doesn't take much to add in an additional anchor as you progress. Yes it's not as quick as putting up one srt line and rope walking to the top but where do you draw the line? 

A lot of time up the tree is spent waiting for groundies to clear brash or send a rigging line back up. 10 seconds of that can be spent moving an anchor 

Does that include the time taken connecting your poles together and packing them up? 

You know, the ones you say you use for installing your two lines.

53 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Does that include the time taken connecting your poles together and packing them up? 

You know, the ones you say you use for installing your two lines.

I also use them for installing one line where I can't use a throw bag. Sometimes it's quicker to just select a branch especially in a dense crown. I find it quicker and easier (admittedly not as quick as just throwing up one line), especially on smaller trees up to say 40ft to just select my final anchor using 30ft of poles than progress my anchor, clipping and unclipping the whole way... 

Our of interest, climbing with two anchors, do you really find that the additional couple of minutes here and there makes you not economical as a climber?