Next truck, last truck...

Ty Korrigan

39 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

My mate broke his back in a Stalwart,  going over the knife edge at Bovington Training area. Went over and knackered his spine.  Ended up on sticks for the rest of his life. Brilliant bit of kit though.

My neighbour in Yorkshire used to be Army driving instructor, took Stalwarts off the harbour end into Portsmouth harbour, he insisted they hit 30mph so back end didnt tip it nose first into water, must have been a sight 😋  K

24 minutes ago, Khriss said:

My neighbour in Yorkshire used to be Army driving instructor, took Stalwarts off the harbour end into Portsmouth harbour, he insisted they hit 30mph so back end didnt tip it nose first into water, must have been a sight 😋  K

When I was on the BP Emergency Response team at Wytch Farm in Dorset, we bought ex French Army 1947 DUKW from BP Aberdeen for the princely sum of £47, which was the transport cost. This was 1991 so shows you how times change! If memory serves me, it had a 7.2? Chrysler engine on a 6 volt electrical system. Batteries were knackered and we had to start the engine by firing the carb! That too had to go off the slipway at 30mph, I think you disengaged all wheel drive and engaged front wheel drive at the same time as engaging the prop. 3 speed gear box which was a different configuration to normal. First time in the water at Poole docks we had a spate pump ready on the back decks, just in case. By the time me and the apprentice got it going, we were back on dry land, didn't even realise, it was that smooth a transition! Sea water everywhere though! The base mechanic filled in the rear wheel arches with cement, which worked. We had short wave radios to communicate with the shore, couldn't hear a sodding thing such was the racket. Turning circle of the QE 2, took 5 days turn the thing round to the slipway. Great fun. The idea was to use it to tow the inflatable booms out during an exercise or in the event of an oil spill. Also to go for a lunchtime wet at the dockside pubs to avoid taking the cars. Didn't quite manage that bit as my license was taken whilst under the influence of a few sweet sherries. Should have taken the bleeding DUKW!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, aspenarb said:

Its still got all the swim gear on it Khriss which is quite rare, as soon as time and workshop space allow it there is a V8 Cummins turbo diesel going in there.

Bob

Step up gearbox in between?

Action man put a K60 in his, nearly turned turtle going off the side of the slip at Itchenor.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Step up gearbox in between?

Action man put a K60 in his, nearly turned turtle going off the side of the slip at Itchenor.

Send him down for an interview, we are a bit low on idiots at the moment👍

Bob

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, aspenarb said:

Send him down for an interview, we are a bit low on idiots at the moment👍

Bob

I never saw him after that day, he was trying to curcumnavigate the Isle of Wight and apparently never made it.

Watch those steel fuel lines they'll probably have rusted through by now.

The Aussies did re engine them with a V8 and because it is shorter than the straight eight B81 there was room to put a step up gearbox in to get the output back to 4000rpm.

As it is driven by one differential the strain can build up to do damage  if used on grippy tarmac once you turn a corner.

• Like 1

@aspenarb wow,  A thats better engine by far B rare to have thrusters on as Army got fed up of squaddies launching them into lakes/rivers n getting stuck an took them off.   K

What's the point of a stally that can't swim? Damned expensive load carrier for f@#k all load. Going back to my earlier post, when I was active in arb, we had a job clearing scrub on an island in maidenhead. For the sheer thrill of it thought of hiring a stally to chip into.( Never even considered the horrific thought of shoveling it all back out on the other side !). Then an owner told us of the fuel consumption swimming which seemed 12x as bad as road. We hired a tug and barge instead ! Would have been a job to be remembered forever in all ways.

S

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, skc101fc said:

What's the point of a stally that can't swim? Damned expensive load carrier for f@#k all load. Going back to my earlier post, when I was active in arb, we had a job clearing scrub on an island in maidenhead. For the sheer thrill of it thought of hiring a stally to chip into.( Never even considered the horrific thought of shoveling it all back out on the other side !). Then an owner told us of the fuel consumption swimming which seemed 12x as bad as road. We hired a tug and barge instead ! Would have been a job to be remembered forever in all ways.

S

Youtube hits would have paid fr that now ☺️ plus yr roll on busi ess aftr. K

• Like 1