How do I recognise ash?

wanstronian

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this time of year trees are harder to identify, however ash trees are easy because of their distinctive buds...597655494d863_ashbud.jpg.6a7429d73dac6472befbd42e993ed995.jpg

Once you have identified the tree as an ash take a look at the bark on the branches and main stem. Compare this to other trees and you'll easily be able to see the differences.

Take some pics of the logs and post them on here, I'm sure you'll get a response.:001_smile:

5976554bdeae0_ashbud.jpg.b5dcc7e585a00b36543b40d7af927e09.jpg

I'm not paranoid, I'm just trying to make sure I get VFM. It was a reasonable question. If it's a problem for you, don't bother to post.

All very well saying don't buy off that supplier again, I haven't got the spare cash to get it wrong.

I didn't realise that this forum was for the exclusive use of weathered woodcutters and hardened professionals. I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that it was a good place to come for advice and to learn.

I am sorry you got a poor response to this! in there defence the thread title left me ignoring it for some time, i wanted to reply its a podery grey substance!

if you split a bit of ash youll get fine fibres peeling away from the bark quite distinct of ash. the wood has no heart and is a constant pale grey when old whitish yellow when a few days to weeks old and bright pink when fresh cut.

The bark is smooth and green when young, having a very fine skin over a very bright green clorophyl layer that can very easily be exposed with a light scrape by fingernail.

Th older logs are grey brown and shallowly fissuerd with a diamond pattern, if you peel this bark away it will be a shiny yellow. I hope this helps a little.

ash is over rated i much prefere beech! but its a lot harder to season hence why ash is probably regarded as the best fire wood as it has a low moisture content to start with ......... go out in the woods or hedge rows and find some standing ash ident by the buds then look at the timber ...the wood texture and bark and heart wood colour will vary greatly with tree maturity but is easy to recognise once you know what you are lookng for!

its easy to saw and split u can sell it fresh as there isnt much sap in it.good luck

Why do people persist with this myth? I'd no sooner pass of green Ash as ''fit for burning'' than any other green timber. All this talk of moisture meters, yet green Ash is OK?:confused1:

Got a new customer this season who had a small load off me for a trial, as she was unhappy with her current supplier. She phoned me after a few days complaining of a smoking wood burner. To cut a long story short, after getting the sweep out she discovered that her chimney was tarred right up.Turns out her previous supplier had been selling yep, you got it, GREEN ASH, which, apparently, everyone knows is OK to burn!!:cursing:

Anyway, worked out in the end, as I've not only got her as a regular customer but 3 other households in the village.:thumbup:

Why do people persist with this myth? I'd no sooner pass of green Ash as ''fit for burning'' than any other green timber. All this talk of moisture meters, yet green Ash is OK?:confused1:

Spot on Steve. Wet wood is wet wood, wether it's ash or not. Freshly felled Ash, if you're lucky is over 30% MC. If you sell someone 'fit for burning' Beech or Oak at over 30% MC you could get in trouble.

Dry Ash is a good firewood, but give me dry 'virtually anything' rather than wet Ash, anyday

It is a problem to me though, because as a log supplier I have to sit and explain to people over and over .
Maybe you're in the wrong business then, if that frustrates you so much you feel compelled to have a pop at a complete stranger asking a reasonable question. Nobody forced you to post.

I have spent 14 years in the harshest retail eviroment known to man, dealing with up to a 1000 customers a day, all whom are penny pinching and after something for nothing.

Is that my fault? I'm just after a fair deal, not a free ride.

Two rules to follow

Cheap generally means rubbish

Dear doesn't neccessarily mean your getting ripped off

By all means ask, but you have gone a bit overboard imo and it is only my opinion :001_smile:

Well, I asked two questions. One was about the amount of wood being offered, and the other was how to make sure it's what it's being sold as. Can't see how that's 'overboard.'

I take it you would be happy to pay for a pint of Guinness and receive half a pint of weak lager? No - because you can tell the difference and know whether it's a rip.

A few months ago quite a few forum members contributed to a buyers guide and also a sellers guide.

It was not possible to get anything like agreement and the resulting debate made it quite evident that the firewood industry is unlikely to be ready to adopt industry wide "standards" in the near future. However we did try and get close to establishing "Best Practice"

Buying Firewood: A consumers guide to buying logs and firewood

Firewood Selling Guide - suggested best practice for the firewood industry

Any further comments welcome!