Can I do some extra freelance work for the company I work for?

Sam

You  will he insured by the main company as a climber as they are the company  in charge 

If however  you given the responsibility  of the job and organise the  as they are not capable or not insured you then assume responsibility   

1 minute ago, Steve Bullman said:

Happy to be proven wrong but I fear you will be disappointed. Simon will clear this up for us when he sees my tag.

Maybe I'm missing something but I've done contracts from councils to foreign companies in S****** countries before and unless the companies insurance policy specifically says that it will cover subcontracted companies then you're uninsured. I could have saved thousands and thousands in insurance policies if there was some sort of automatic legal right to be covered by an insurance policy if you wear a companies logod up t-shirt on site and pretend you're one of them 🤷🏼‍♂️

My insurance provider told me that I didn't need insurance due to the work I was doing. However my main customers insurers told them that I did need insurance to work for them. This was wrong, my provider assured me it was wrong, and ultimately for the sake of my £300 premium and the amount of work I got from said company, I just kept it running.

Few months back the same company I used to sub to asked me for a recommendation on insurance. I told them to give me previous provider a phone, which they did and had a long conversation, including the issue with sub contractors insurance. They went back to their existing company with the information, who finally conceded that actually their subbies would be covered under their insurance after all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:
WWW.DIRECTLINEFORBUSINESS.CO.UK

Unsure whether you have to declare your subcontractor as an employee or if you need employers’ liability insurance...

Perhaps the insurance company got it wrong?

This is part of the issue though, I think the full IR35 reform got delayed as it was originally march this year but with the recent financial loss of covid Rishi is pushing forward with it again. IR35 basically makes labour only freelance illegal, labour only freelancers are basically a 0 hour contract worker paid by PAYE now

Edited by Paddy1000111

Just now, Paddy1000111 said:

This is part of the issue though, I think the full IR35 reform got delayed as it was originally march this year but with the recent financial loss of covid Rishi is pushing forward with it again. IR35 basically makes labour only freelance illegal, labour only freelancers are basically a 0 hour contract worker paid by PAYE

@Johnsond is quite well versed in this of late, perhaps he has some updates?