Brexit and the arb industry.

richy_B

Just now, Big J said:

I did say Northern Europe....

If we are that bad here in the UK why are there so many immigrants risking their lives to get to our shores? They literally have to walk past most of the Northern European Countries to get to the UK, or at least they could find a safe land route to anywhere in Northern Europe that does not involve dinghies in freezing winter temperatures. 

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

If we are that bad here in the UK why are there so many immigrants risking their lives to get to our shores? They literally have to walk past most of the Northern European Countries to get to the UK, or at least they could find a safe land route to anywhere in Northern Europe that does not involve dinghies in freezing winter temperatures. 

The UK has a culturally engrained status amongst many countries as being a hub of prosperity. I think it harks back to when we were a major collonial power. Also, English is the language most likely to be spoken by immigrants coming to Europe, so it's just easier I suppose. 

I really think a lot of them would have serious reservations about getting onto a RIB at Calais if they knew they were going to end up in Sunderland!!

• Haha 1

Despite many reasons to not love England, I love England. We’re only the poor man of Europe in the same way some old-money gentry looks poor because the jacket that his great grandfather gave him is tied up with the string that his grandfather gave him. We’ve got wealth (and class, and grit, and guile) in spades.

• Like 5

Just now, Big J said:

The UK has a culturally engrained status amongst many countries as being a hub of prosperity. I think it harks back to when we were a major collonial power. Also, English is the language most likely to be spoken by immigrants coming to Europe, so it's just easier I suppose. 

I really think a lot of them would have serious reservations about getting onto a RIB at Calais if they knew they were going to end up in Sunderland!!

Maybe, I dont quite buy that though. 

They very rarely speak English, they all seem to migrate to where there is other immigrants have already set up their ghetto's and they all seem to have smart phones so I doubt they dont know what they are expecting when they land here. I think they know exactly what they're coming to when they risk it all in the RIBs. 

Perhaps its not quite as Rosey on the Continent after all? 

7 hours ago, Big J said:

Also utter nonsense. 

Functionally, Britain is the poor man of Northern Europe. We work the longest hours, we are the least productive. We live in the poorest (and most expensive) houses, drive on the poorest roads, use the most expensive railway system in the world, have the poorest access to green space, have terrible employment rights (zero hours contracts, for example), have poorer parental leave, poorer tenant rights, some of the worst cancer survival rates in Europe, have a failing and increasingly privatised educational system and increasingly wealth inequality.

Britain would do far better if it dropped the pretense of being 'Great'. It's exasperating listening to Brexiteers drivel on about recapturing the wartime spirit and how wonderful and utopian Britain is. It's almost as if they've not been to other countries.

Well while I disagree with you, you pretty much make my point for me, leaving the EU will in no way change workers rights, just as being in it did nothing for workers.

You really do hate this great country.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Well while I disagree with you, you pretty much make my point for me, leaving the EU will in no way change workers rights, just as being in it did nothing for workers.

You really do hate this great country.

It's not a great country. Not even close. You'd have to be deluded to think so. It maybe was once, but that was many, many years ago. It's been a managed decline for decades, a decline managed by the wealthy, for the wealthy. 

1 minute ago, Big J said:

It's not a great country. Not even close. You'd have to be deluded to think so. It maybe was once, but that was many, many years ago. It's been a managed decline for decades, a decline managed by the wealthy, for the wealthy. 

IYO.

10 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Do you really believe Britain isn’t as corrupt as the EU?
That kind benevolent business will lift up the working man?
Affordable housing?
Healthcare, education?
Wait til there’s no minimum wage,
Maximum working hours etc.

Have you ever heard of the strategic Russian strike ability?
Europe and America would be destroyed completely.
Russian would suffer 15-25% losses as the country is so vast, and there manufacturing spread out.

There it is. The state should be holding our hands through life.....

not for me thanks as predictable as it is sad. What happened to making your own way and luck in life?👎

• Like 3

Utter nonsense.

Do you know the minimum wage rate in many parts of the EU? Plus it was not implemented by the EU. It was brought in by a British government. We opted out of the maximum working hours directive, so what's going to change? 

We are generally way ahead of most of the EU on workers rights, animal welfare, food standards etc, etc....

The idea that the EU has somehow enforced improvements on the UK is just more remoaner propaganda.

You really think Russia wants mutually assured destruction? and if so why now? 

Absolute tosh.
I worked for the EU in Brussels,
DG 5. Working conditions and labour law.
Maximum working hours and minimum wage.
To opt out of the maximum working hours are two separate extra contracts.
(One for over time and one for Sunday’s).
Without the EU it’s back to pay em as little as possible fir as long a day as possible.

Health and safety is quite “advanced” in the uk,
However animal welfare...
And food standards....

It did, fact.

Look at what Russia has been doing for 20+ years now.

[emoji106]
  • Like 1