Brexit and the arb industry.

richy_B

20 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Or was it the greedy unions and lazy workers demanding more and more pay for less and less work and ignoring the need to modernise and compete on the world stage?

Maybe so. The ruling classes still have their castles. 

I find the idea that people consider workers' unions to be greedy a bit troubling.

If you don't keep people in check they tend, in my experience, to extract the kidney juice.

Edited by Mark J

4 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Maybe so. The ruling classes still have their castles. 

I find the idea that people consider workers' unions to be greedy a bit troubling.

If you don't keep people in check they tend, in my experience, to extract the kidney juice.

Agreed the ruling classes are not innocent either.  Land reform is long overdue, but not likely to happen.  My landlord owns hundreds of millions of pounds worth of property and is totally exempt from inheritence tax.

But yes I think the unions have a lot to answer for.  They forget the companies they consider to be the enemy are actually providing the jobs for their members.  So when they finally screw the company into oblivion the people they hurt most are their own members! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Agreed the ruling classes are not innocent either.  Land reform is long overdue, but not likely to happen.  My landlord owns hundreds of millions of pounds worth of property and is totally exempt from inheritence tax.

But yes I think the unions have a lot to answer for.  They forget the companies they consider to be the enemy are actually providing the jobs for their members.  So when they finally screw the company into oblivion the people they hurt most are their own members! 

I hadn't thought of it like that before, cheers. I guess it depends on the scale of the company though.

I might be living near Aberystwyth next year. Purely because normal people aren't exempt from inheritance tax, so it's either buy land or give the gov a daft sum of money.   

Hope you have a good weekend mate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I hadn't thought of it like that before, cheers. I guess it depends on the scale of the company though.

I might be living near Aberystwyth next year. Purely because normal people aren't exempt from inheritance tax, so it's either buy land or give the gov a daft sum of money.   

Hope you have a good weekend mate.

Cheers Mark, and you.  Just need to get friendly with someone whose ancestors were well in with William the Conqueror - that is when the land was all divided up...

1 minute ago, Squaredy said:

Cheers Mark, and you.  Just need to get friendly with someone whose ancestors were well in with William the Conqueror - that is when the land was all divided up...

I've been searching for the remains of Emperor Hadrian up here, all I've found so far is 'The Great Wall of Scotland'.
I'm fortunate that I have high friends in places.
I'm in an advisory role in Wales project, but the Chairman of the Board used to live and work there and knows people and the language.
Quite looking forward to managing a chunk of land.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I've been searching for the remains of Emperor Hadrian up here, all I've found so far is 'The Great Wall of Scotland'.
I'm fortunate that I have high friends in places.
I'm in an advisory role in Wales project, but the Chairman of the Board used to live and work there and knows people and the language.
Quite looking forward to managing a chunk of land.

Pob lwc Marc, nos da.

Aye. But, Maggie killed off industry in this country. We don't have the resources or skillsets to compete with our neighbours.
We could have left EU and still worked alongside them, but this Government has missed a prime opportunity to do that.

I voted to leave the EU, I'd hoped there might have been some adults at the bargaining table. 
I regret that choice.
We've got a lovely Service Industry though.[emoji12] What more could you want?!
  • Haha 1