Brexit and the arb industry.

richy_B

Not a for/against thread just a bit of a discussion on the likelyhood we won't have a trading arrangement by the end of December. Just wondering what everyone is expecting/thinking?

-Machinery. Vast majority of our machinery, from chainsaws to chippers to MEWPs to Unimogs and onwards are European. What is availability, lead times and prices going to be like for new kit and parts? Climbing kit as well I suppose.

-Firewood. Could this be a good thing for domestic producers? I can't see importing kiln dried European firewood by the container load being as easy/cheap as it was before. Could this boost local producers revenues?

-The overall knock on impact on our economy. Will people have more/less disposable income? Will commercial customers have more/less budgets? Same for local authorities. 

I'm not panicked about it but I am mindful certain parts of our industry will be impacted. 

Interested to hear other people's view. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richy_B said:

-Firewood. Could this be a good thing for domestic producers? I can't see importing kiln dried European firewood by the container load being as easy/cheap as it was before. Could this boost local producers revenues?

Might stop the thousands of tons of recently felled ash that is currently going for biomass .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's talk of the biggest recession in 300 years which if it's right seems like it may affect people's spare cash next year more than Brexit. I haven't seen many jobs being postponed yet but will be interesting to see.

I tend to agree that gear and machinery prices are likely to rise, at least in the short term, HoneyBros have already put an email round to this effect.

• Like 2

Serious uncertainty regarding forestry. 

Almost all machinery is made abroad. What will the import tariffs be? What will the delay on parts be? What will the exchange rate do? 

Many will talk about it being good for the industry that we might not import so much, but the UK isn't anywhere close to having the volume and quality of timber required to support it's own needs. 80% of timber is imported, and we're not able to grow the quality of contruction/joinery material required by many market sectors, as most species grow too quickly here. 

Some of you might have noticed that I'm a little anti-Brexit, and that is very much the case as regards forestry. 

Coupling all the Brexit issues with the covid 19 issues, and you've got huge problems. Then add an inevitable Indepedence vote in Scotland next year and you've got the plot to a really boring Hollywood disaster movie - "The Breakup of Brexit Britain - a Covid-magedon"

• Like 7

All I can say is there will be up's and downs in business regardless of recessions, brexit or any other factor.... One thing I have learned is focusing and worrying on what you don't have control of will do you more damage.
Spend your time focused on what you do have control of and making your business work for you.. This will make the difference as to if your successful or not in life.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm hoping that its gives this country a big kick up the backside ( in a good way ). I want to see this country and its people rise up and put 2 fingers up to the doom mongers. This country used to be a world leader in industry, and I cant see any reason why we can't again.

Wether its large scale or small is unimportant, it's the fact that instead of moaning about things, shut up and get on with it.

Take a part for a machine for example, if it is to come from Italy (for example) and it's going to take 2 weeks. I'll guarantee the will be a small engineering company that can make the same piece, or repair it, a lot bloody quicker and better. That way its win win. You get your machine running quicker and thus earning money quicker, and you have just helped another small business grow.

I see it in a positive way.

H.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, harvey b davison said:

I'm hoping that its gives this country a big kick up the backside ( in a good way ). I want to see this country and its people rise up and put 2 fingers up to the doom mongers. This country used to be a world leader in industry, and I cant see any reason why we can't again.

Wether its large scale or small is unimportant, it's the fact that instead of moaning about things, shut up and get on with it.

Take a part for a machine for example, if it is to come from Italy (for example) and it's going to take 2 weeks. I'll guarantee the will be a small engineering company that can make the same piece, or repair it, a lot bloody quicker and better. That way its win win. You get your machine running quicker and thus earning money quicker, and you have just helped another small business grow.

I see it in a positive way.

H.

Aye. But, Maggie killed off industry in this country. We don't have the resources or skillsets to compete with our neighbours.
We could have left EU and still worked alongside them, but this Government has missed a prime opportunity to do that.

I voted to leave the EU, I'd hoped there might have been some adults at the bargaining table. 
I regret that choice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1