Another bargain

djbobbins

20 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

They've sold over 10,000 of the G660 now. Thats mad. If they where even remotely as bad as being made out Im sure it would be well know. 

I wonder if Stihl has a done a comparison with this saw or thought better of it as it works as well as their own? 

The 10000 sales thing - do you know if that's a fact ?

Reason I ask; I've been on their website - every item they sell supposedly has sales numbers in the ten thousand region....and feedback of single figures. I don't believe they make, let alone sell, 10000 ms180 clutches (or what ever it was) but of course people do (believe it). And through internet whispers it appears to become fact. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bmp01 said:

The 10000 sales thing - do you know if that's a fact ?

Reason I ask; I've been on their website - every item they sell supposedly has sales numbers in the ten thousand region....and feedback of single figures. I don't believe they make, let alone sell, 10000 ms180 clutches (or what ever it was) but of course people do (believe it). And through internet whispers it appears to become fact. 

Good points. :) No, I dont know if its a fact and am going on face value only. Could well be 10,000 units or individual items now that you mention it. 

Regarding the G660 though, it does seem to be a huge seller for them. Every day there is posts from new guys firing theirs up for the first time or building a new one. They have dealers and re-sellers in the US, Canada and the UK who have and see to shift an awful lot of stock. 

But again, I do not have one. Just seen their saws pop up more and more frequently on FB milling pages. Folk getting 2-3 years milling out of them before needing fixed. Two to Three years solid Milling from a saw that costs £250? If its not your main source of income thats a game changer for a lot of folk who either just want to start out or do so as a hobby. 

I'll most likely get the 880 when it comes out. Purely to resaw 5 Ash Slabs. If it lasts the whole day and costs me £500 its paid for itself that day. If its anything like the reliability Im seeing from the owners of the G660 on FB and other US Milling forums and it lasts 1,2 or even 3 years its very cheap Milling. 

I had a g66 or what ever it is as I fancied a Christmas holiday project , you can do a self build so replaced the crank seals /bearings and a few other bits for genuine but the saw was incontinent and leaked fuel every where , the fuel lines ,caps where junk so was most of the quality of the other bits ...wasn’t a bad saw in timber mind but I would not want it in the front line.

• Like 2

Good points. [emoji4] No, I dont know if its a fact and am going on face value only. Could well be 10,000 units or individual items now that you mention it. 

Regarding the G660 though, it does seem to be a huge seller for them. Every day there is posts from new guys firing theirs up for the first time or building a new one. They have dealers and re-sellers in the US, Canada and the UK who have and see to shift an awful lot of stock. 

But again, I do not have one. Just seen their saws pop up more and more frequently on FB milling pages. Folk getting 2-3 years milling out of them before needing fixed. Two to Three years solid Milling from a saw that costs £250? If its not your main source of income thats a game changer for a lot of folk who either just want to start out or do so as a hobby. 

I'll most likely get the 880 when it comes out. Purely to resaw 5 Ash Slabs. If it lasts the whole day and costs me £500 its paid for itself that day. If its anything like the reliability Im seeing from the owners of the G660 on FB and other US Milling forums and it lasts 1,2 or even 3 years its very cheap Milling. 

But this is a professional arborist site,
Not a hobby woodworker site.
No one on here uses fake dangerous saws.
The job is already dangerous enough.
[emoji106]
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

But this is a professional arborist site,
Not a hobby woodworker site.
No one on here uses fake dangerous saws.
The job is already dangerous enough.
emoji106.png

I believe it’s an open forum for all disciplines and skill levels? 

No one that you know of uses these saws on here. That’s a big difference. ;) Unless you’ve conducted a poll I missed?

• Like 1

I believe it’s an open forum for all disciplines and skill levels? 

No one that you know of uses these saws on here. That’s a big difference. [emoji6] Unless you’ve conducted a poll I missed?

You’re right.
Let’s conduct one.

Who uses a fully functioning chainsaw vs who uses fake dangerous cheap crap?
  • Like 2

Just now, Rough Hewn said:

Me I’m in the first camp.
Stihl,Husqvarna,Echo,Sachs,Mac
,Partner etc. emoji106.png

Me second. ?Stihl and Makita. Till last year it’s been Stihl since I was 16 because my old man is a Husky Man it it’s in my nature to go against the flow. ;)

Maybe ask Big J to help you out making a poll if you’re serious? Polls have to be anonymous so the folks who have ‘dangerous’ Chinese saws don’t feel like they’ll be shat on by the Saw Snobs. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2