Another bargain

djbobbins

Me second. ?Stihl and Makita. Till last year it’s been Stihl since I was 16 because my old man is a Husky Man it it’s in my nature to go against the flow. [emoji6]

Maybe ask Big J to help you out making a poll if you’re serious? Polls have to be anonymous so the folks who have ‘dangerous’ Chinese saws don’t feel like they’ll be shat on by the Saw Snobs. [emoji16]

I think we both know the outcome of that pole.???[emoji106]
But to be fair, it’s just a question of material and engineering tolerances.
Got a mate who plays with chainsaws and their engines. He’s been tinkering for quite a few years. He uses Chinese,Korean and Italian engines to practise porting etc.
When his stihl 660 engine popped he went all out on modding it up.
Now it cuts about 5% faster than a stock 661.
So it can be done, but it’s a lot more work,effort,stress etc.
But all the rest is OEM, so it’s a safer saw.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

Just now, Rough Hewn said:

I think we both know the outcome of that pole.???emoji106.png
But to be fair, it’s just a question of material and engineering tolerances.
Got a mate who plays with chainsaws and their engines. He’s been tinkering for quite a few years. He uses Chinese,Korean and Italian engines to practise porting etc.
When his stihl 660 engine popped he went all out on modding it up.
Now it cuts about 5% faster than a stock 661.
So it can be done, but it’s a lot more work,effort,stress etc.
But all the rest is OEM, so it’s a safer saw.
emoji106.png

I'll most likely stick with Stihl and Makita to be honest. But I do like to put the cat amongst the pigeons. ;) 

Maybe next year if I get some more OT I'll maybe even treat myself to a new 881, so I can feel more in the club. :D 

But Id sorely like to get the copycat 880 and prove the naysayers wrong. Its just the way Im built. 

Regarding the Poll, I think it might surprise you to be honest. Im not saying there will be loads of Chinese saws, but there's deffo a few here. And at no point would I make a few burner accounts and add numbers to the Chinese Saws side of the Poll. :D 

• Like 3

I'll most likely stick with Stihl and Makita to be honest. But I do like to put the cat amongst the pigeons. [emoji6] 

Maybe next year if I get some more OT I'll maybe even treat myself to a new 881, so I can feel more in the club. [emoji3] 

But Id sorely like to get the copycat 880 and prove the naysayers wrong. Its just the way Im built. 

Regarding the Poll, I think it might surprise you to be honest. Im not saying there will be loads of Chinese saws, but there's deffo a few here. And at no point would I make a few burner accounts and add numbers to the Chinese Saws side of the Poll. [emoji3] 

You know there’s been an 880 copy available for years?
It’s even made by stihl.
It’s called the ms780.
Google it.
Same weight,displacement etc but less power.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

I think I will just get a 880 copy and change all the parts that I know are poor and have failed in the 660 clones...

I know some cranks to go bad and that ant cheap, I know the carbs can be crap. I know the main bearings can be full of mag shavings, I know other things are a bit hit and miss,, but I know what I know.. and I see it as a project and would like most peeps and take a backup saw... and I would put it through some hard work  with a smaller bar first.

and I say this is only if the price of the oem 880 stays the same as it is now, if the oem 880 price falls then why bother 

btw I think the clone price will be around £500 give or take ?

• Like 2

I think I will just get a 880 copy and change all the parts that I know are poor and have failed in the 660 clones...

I know some cranks to go bad and that ant cheap, I know the carbs can be crap. I know the main bearings can be full of mag shavings, I know other things are a bit hit and miss,, but I know what I know.. and I see it as a project and would like most peeps and take a backup saw... and I would put it through some hard work  with a smaller bar first.

and I say this is only if the price of the oem 880 stays the same as it is now, if the oem 880 price falls then why bother 
btw I think the clone price will be around £500 give or take [emoji6]

Yip, I think £500 as well.

Brave of you to admit that here though. [emoji16]

btw I think the clone price will be around £500 give or take [emoji6]

About the same price as a second hand 880
[emoji6][emoji106]

I must have had around 1000 customers over the years and have only ever seen one 372XP copy, all others have used Stihl, Husqvarna, Makita, Dolmar, Echo etc. 

If saws come in with unidentified Chinese top ends, in the past I have tried to get more out of them but have now given up on this and either replace them or don't touch the saw. There are only three AM top end manufacturers I would use on a Pro saw, one is actually Chinese but produce better quality kit......and it costs a bit more!!!

I have used Farmtec top ends and even ported them. The plating is that soft it doesn't even hinder a carbide burr, this means that the top end won't keep good compression for anywhere close to the OEM parts.

Back to that 372XP.....the starter spring was stupidly stiff, the pipes were soft and cheap, the crankcases had cracks in them where the main bearings were pushed in and that is what I remember. It put me right off. 

It looked like a 372 and sort of felt like one but it just wasn't right!

• Like 3

Really? Well when you next see a good clean 880 for £500 let me know! I’ll buy it.

Wait til January mate.
When Santa’s been delivering 881’s.
Should be a few on the market soon.
Personally, you’d be nuts to get anything other than an 881.
And you know it!
???[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1