Alarm recommendations following brake-in - Aldershot Area

SyB

Hi,

Garage was broken into overnight on Thursday 22nd - pretty much all the good stuff gone :(  They certainly knew what they were looking for - the few items left needed attention.  Broke in through bottom of garden in the dead of the night - evil scumbags.

In the process of getting some security i.e. lights etc.  Can anyone recommend something not too complicated that has an alarm good enough to scare the devil ??  Maybe something that works off sensors.  Would be grateful for any advice.

Sy

• Sad 1

Make whatever you do make noise,lots of it line your shed with steel takes time to cut, then place lights to cover the area, you need to make them have to take time and make noise they will then look for easier pickings.

lock the tools in a cage inside the building two doors = twice as long 

defend in depth don’t rely on just one method 

fit a silent alarm as well they won’t know they haven’t defeated it

careful who you let near the shed tell knowone what you do 

all alarms work set yourself a budget then see what you can do for the money 

most you can do yourself 

me I have got big dogs and some other bits

you can try monitored alarms but they are usually in and out quicker than the companies can respond

Keep your chin up 

• Like 1

I would recommend the ring cameras hooked up to an Amazon Echo, we have one for the front door bell and when there is motion detected Alexa tells you, have one next to your bed and you should wake!

They do a range of different ones, some with lights too.

Not sure what gear you have but get some amorguard boxes so that if they get in they cant get to smaller kit.

WWW.ARMORGARD.CO.UK

Leading Manufacturer of secure tool storage and logistics on site. Manufacturer of tool vaults, van boxes, siteboxes, manual handling and other site storage essentials

Whatever you do, make sure it contacts you in some way. I'd also have it make a lot of noise- all very well saying they won't know and you can get down there and give them a hiding. The reality is, there will be lots of them, they will be bigger than you, they will have crowbars and they will be wide awake. Much better to hope to scare them off.

I'd always back an alarm up with a camera, so you can avoid getting up for false alarms. Less of an issue if you are on site- the Ring camera sounds like a good idea, although I know little about them.

• Like 1

We use Eufy cameras and monitors.  Simple to set-up and the batteries last a long time.  Extra components can be added easily and the wireless range seems good.  Amazon is a good source.

I'd also consider one of these.  We had one go off a few years ago and I could swear the prowler sh*t himself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can't say what is was but in our house, the old owner had Harleys, alarmed the garage but not the house. 13A fuse in the garage labelled 'blaster'

One of the sites where I worked alarmed their buildings and 3 months later had to put "wear ear defenders when entering" because of the number of times the alarms went off before you could reset them (3 or 4 doors to a building, 100 buildings, had to remember which door the alarm panel was behind - fixed with a code to the signage)

Point here is that if you are getting an alarm, make it unpleasant to be there when it goes off... but make sure you can reset it quickly if you have neighbours.

However also going with the make it take too long, too lit up, too noisy and too many cameras option too.

Consider their attack as well. Are they going down the front of the house or jumping the back wall, where do you need to strengthen to make it trickier