Home schooling - anyone else had a bit of a shock??

Squaredy

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I know, last night I tweeted that if you weren’t having a wank over Vera Lynn right now you’re worse than the Nazis.

Luckily I only have 32 followers and I think they’re mostly Russian spam bots.

Good gracious me, what a turnaround! One minute you're apologising to one of the Viet Taff, then changed into a sex fiend advocating smashing one off over Dame Vera! Wonder what the Kremlin will make of that, Comrade.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I know, last night I tweeted that if you weren’t having a wank over Vera Lynn right now you’re worse than the Nazis.

Luckily I only have 32 followers and I think they’re mostly Russian spam bots.

Really Dempsey, and i missed all that ?  must have been having sex or summat.. 

But remmber Colonel Tom " tomorrow will be a better day "  ? K

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I missed all this, was outside having a beer by the fire pit.

I am confused though what with Vera Lynn being 103.

And I wondered what the French VE day celebrations were like? Anything going on in rest of Europe?

No French celebrations, lockdown. I would rather Mr Dempsey concentrated his sordid fantasies on Dame Vera than on his previous squeeze,  Wee Krankie at Holyrood.

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 08:19, Squaredy said:

There is no denying the logic of your argument, Spanish or French would be a far more useful language.  But as has been pointed out local cultures are also important and of course in Wales there is a strong resentment to everything being anglicised due to hundreds of years of blatant repression from Westminster governments.  This is why the Welsh language society has a lot of power.

Is it really a good use of resources to put so much emphasis on Welsh language?  Is it really money well spent to have reversing warnings on dustbin lorries in Welsh and then English in Cardiff (a largely English speaking area)?  For an English only speaker they may have been run over by the time the warning gets to the English version!  

My wife and I sent our kids to a Welsh language school largely because they have a much better reputation and because they say it helps with learning generally to be bilingual at an early age.

This was our thinking too but teaching Welsh above and beyond English I don't believe is beneficial in the long term. English suffers and I have seen too many cases especially when they move into university level education, which will be predominantly in English. As I may have mentioned before we will be moving our daughter from Welsh to English stream when she enters secondary education.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marlin.45 said:

This was our thinking too but teaching Welsh above and beyond English I don't believe is beneficial in the long term. English suffers and I have seen too many cases especially when they move into university level education, which will be predominantly in English. As I may have mentioned before we will be moving our daughter from Welsh to English stream when she enters secondary education.

Why not move her to an English first language school now? Rather than waiting.

3 hours ago, Marlin.45 said:

In the case of our boys I think they are doing better than they would be in English medium education....I would home school them rather than send them to the local primary school or comp.  But that is a reflection of our area - Newport.

1 hour ago, breffni said:

Why not move her to an English first language school now? Rather than waiting.

At least 5 of her classmates left last year and moved to a local English medium school. But I have to agree initially the std of education was good, if not better than I have previously experienced in schools of this level of education. Yes, it is something we are considering. 

9 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

In the case of our boys I think they are doing better than they would be in English medium education....I would home school them rather than send them to the local primary school or comp.  But that is a reflection of our area - Newport.

As I am currently WFH her writing and reading ability (or lack of) in English is more pronounced. A new tack is My Little Pony books before bed. A few pages every night. Me not her ;)

This evening she is having a go at archery then taking a walk with me and the JRT's to go flower spotting.

Edited by Marlin.45

5 minutes ago, Marlin.45 said:

At least 5 of her classmates left last year and moved to a local English medium school. But I have to agree initially the std of education was good, if not better than I have previously experienced in schools of this level of education. Yes, it is something we are considering. 

As I am currently WFH her writing and reading ability (or lack of) in English is more pronounced. A new tack is My Little Pony books before bed. A few pages every night. Me not her ;)

This evening she is having a go at archery then taking a walk with me and the JRT's to go flower spotting.

If you can get them reading lots this is the way to sort English out.  It is all about getting them off screens and loving books.  We have Beano delivered every week (and have for years) and they love this - fun and reading practise.

• Like 1