Introduction and Initial Question......

Mark McC

Hi All,

Firstly I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Mark and I'm based in East Ayrshire. I've visited the forum several times as I've been doing some inernet reasearch on chainsaws and have found it a very useful source of info....there is clearly some real experts on here!  I thought it time I joined up and said hello as I'm about to take the plunge into buying what will hopefully be my first "decent" saw (I've had a couple of cheapos in the past with varying success).

I'm no business user, but I live on a small farm and have a fair number of small-medium trees that I want to remove and use the firewood in the stove, so nothing goes to waste. I have been looking at second hand saws, but I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's maybe not worth the risk (unless anyone on here can recommend something (or a trusted seller)). I certainly don't want to buy someone else's problems or poorly maintained saw.

I seem to favour Husky, but I have absolutely no justification for that other than I used to race one and loved it (motocrosser), so I guess Stihl looks good too. The saws all look good, and from all the advice on here it seems to really boil down to either Stihl or Husky.  Looking at the sheer number of Husky models is really starting to fry my brain.  I think I'm suffering from the old "paralysis by analysis" now. Is it the 346, the 550, go autotune, don't go autotune, go Mk1, go Mk2, get a 455 Rancher......aaaarrrrgghhhhh!!!!!!. I was actually watching some you-tube videos on the 460 Rancher and I thought - "Right, that's it....I'll get that one".  Called the local  dealer and they said they had never heard of it??? They said they only do a 455 Rancher.....so of course that sent me into a tailspin again (possibly just a US thing?).  The problem is I have no real history with any of this.  So, if I may ask, can you help with some advice to make sure I don't screw this up and buy something that doesn't hit the mark?

If so, my questions are as follows:

If you had a budget of around £500-600 (ish) to spend on a saw that was to be used for the odd felling job, prepping logs for burning and general maintenance:

1) what would you buy from the current range, or 

2) would you recommend something second hand (if so, what?)

The features I (think) I want are as follows:

a) a good powerful saw

b) must be reliable, easy to start and able to sit around for a while without needing "fettled" all the time (it will be well maintained)

c) not too concerned about it being the lightest as I'm not using it all day every day (but don't want a breeze block)

d) able to run a decent sized bar 18"-20"

Then, if possible any recommendations on where to get one at a decent price (I called two dealers near me and their price for the 455 Rancher varied by more than £100 which surprised me).  I'd normally like to go and kick some tryes, have a look etc, but under current conditions it's getting delivered anyway.....so I can buy from anywhere in the UK that is still open.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Apologies if these questions have all been asked before.

Mark.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mark McC said:

Hi All,

Firstly I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Mark and I'm based in East Ayrshire. I've visited the forum several times as I've been doing some inernet reasearch on chainsaws and have found it a very useful source of info....there is clearly some real experts on here!  I thought it time I joined up and said hello as I'm about to take the plunge into buying what will hopefully be my first "decent" saw (I've had a couple of cheapos in the past with varying success).

I'm no business user, but I live on a small farm and have a fair number of small-medium trees that I want to remove and use the firewood in the stove, so nothing goes to waste. I have been looking at second hand saws, but I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's maybe not worth the risk (unless anyone on here can recommend something (or a trusted seller)). I certainly don't want to buy someone else's problems or poorly maintained saw.

I seem to favour Husky, but I have absolutely no justification for that other than I used to race one and loved it (motocrosser), so I guess Stihl looks good too. The saws all look good, and from all the advice on here it seems to really boil down to either Stihl or Husky.  Looking at the sheer number of Husky models is really starting to fry my brain.  I think I'm suffering from the old "paralysis by analysis" now. Is it the 346, the 550, go autotune, don't go autotune, go Mk1, go Mk2, get a 455 Rancher......aaaarrrrgghhhhh!!!!!!. I was actually watching some you-tube videos on the 460 Rancher and I thought - "Right, that's it....I'll get that one".  Called the local  dealer and they said they had never heard of it??? They said they only do a 455 Rancher.....so of course that sent me into a tailspin again (possibly just a US thing?).  The problem is I have no real history with any of this.  So, if I may ask, can you help with some advice to make sure I don't screw this up and buy something that doesn't hit the mark?

If so, my questions are as follows:

If you had a budget of around £500-600 (ish) to spend on a saw that was to be used for the odd felling job, prepping logs for burning and general maintenance:

1) what would you buy from the current range, or 

2) would you recommend something second hand (if so, what?)

The features I (think) I want are as follows:

a) a good powerful saw

b) must be reliable, easy to start and able to sit around for a while without needing "fettled" all the time (it will be well maintained)

c) not too concerned about it being the lightest as I'm not using it all day every day (but don't want a breeze block)

d) able to run a decent sized bar 18"-20"

Then, if possible any recommendations on where to get one at a decent price (I called two dealers near me and their price for the 455 Rancher varied by more than £100 which surprised me).  I'd normally like to go and kick some tryes, have a look etc, but under current conditions it's getting delivered anyway.....so I can buy from anywhere in the UK that is still open.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Apologies if these questions have all been asked before.

Mark.

For firewood i would recommend Husky 550xp mk11,great saws,but i guess you will get others opinions shortly,but for me they are the best saws on the market for firewood at the minute,ive had a couple mk1s aswell and they have been brilliant.if you want to run a bigger bar then go for 560/562xp also great saws(welcome to the site)

• Like 3

Hi welcome like you ive not been on here long.

There are various levels in each brand of saw. From DIY to Industrial Class Which translates into used once in a while to seven days a week/more plonker proof.

Industrial class has parts held more rigid ie crankcase has better resistance to twisting better filtration for using for longer periods between service bars are better oils  pumps adjustable so can adjust for chain length and tree types.

Proper bar fixings instead of some with a big plastic knob.

One easy one was Bosch power tools you have the green DIY range and the Blue industrial

Green the bearing and gears are held in the plastic case so start using for hours can lead to wearing with cuts not staying in line/straight has bits flex/move etc

while Blue the gears and bearings etc are held in metal so all kept in line(New Chinese stuff excluded)

Premium to pay and heavier often but pays for its self in longer service like"Or did see above" plus they are repairable which much DIY stuff isn't as service life is factored into build so once get to that points it's beyond repairing as cost goes beyond replaceable price.

Luckily most chainsaws in the brands you mention are mostly fully serviceable.

The Rancher gets good press

Husky 346XP which i have has been great i got it used years back and had been used everyday i think and it's had lots of use since.

I'd guess around the 50cc cap is a good size not too heavy or too under powered there are newer saws running smaller engines with thinner chains so more chain speed "Compromise"

Many decent used industrial saws out there can pick up for a decent price once you get a few to look out for

Also these days there are Battery saws also if only cutting say for an hour

Another one if cutting in yard etc is Reciprocator saws can get an aggressive 300mm plus blades that go through wood like mad!

Hi and welcome . Its a bit like channel surfing on Sky !  Just one point you say 18" to 20" bar .  You need 50cc to 60cc for that size of bar (  Take the bar length and X by 3 to give engine size . )  E.G. 18" x3 = 54cc .  Also don't rule out Dolmar or Echo . Just to make it more complex !  I am a Husqvarna man myself but any of the 4 top makes woulds be good .  I would get the best pro saw you can afford and run it on Aspen or similar alkylate fuel , especially if it has infrequent use .

• Like 4

Hi there, As above, there are lots of saws on the market. If the saw is not going to be used daily and not for massive trees then I would say Rancher 455 or equivalent. Echo saws are extremely reliable so I am told and I have always wanted a good echo saw, though currently have Husqvarna.

My understanding is that auto tune are better for heavy duty use on a daily basis and made for that purpose whereas the Rancher as the name suggests is good for use on the ranch..... (and the cost is probably more within your budget) I believe the auto tune have a chip of some sort in them and are a little more fiddly to fix when they need a fix. I.e, the electronic parts. I have yet to do any needful repairs on an auto tune so can't be sure.

A lot of others with far more experience than I will probably have other things to say about it. 

I'd go for a new 550 or 560 in your boat and as already said definitely run it on Aspen2, but another option for your budget would a be a good used husky 350 and get it ported/serviced by Spud on here, if you want a fast light non ecarb saw, can find them having had  a much easier home user life than pro 346s