Covid-19

Baldbloke

Some useful information in here about covid- 19.
It shines some light on the issue of viral load and situations where transmission is more likely to occur.
It's written Erin Bromage who is Assoc. Prof. of Biology at the University of Massachusetts.

ERINBROMAGE.WIXSITE.COM
It seems many people are breathing some relief, and I’m not sure why. An epidemic curve has a relatively predictable...  
Found that really interesting.

This is just the kind of advice/information that I think the government should be publishing so that we can learn about the virus from reputable sources. I was thinking about doing arb work while reading, it would seem that riding in a van together is much more the risk area than whilst outside, and transmission through touching ropes etc while rigging is possible but unlikely.

Have others found similar articles?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

Found that really interesting.

This is just the kind of advice/information that I think the government should be publishing so that we can learn about the virus from reputable sources. I was thinking about doing arb work while reading, it would seem that riding in a van together is much more the risk area than whilst outside, and transmission through touching ropes etc while rigging is possible but unlikely.

Have others found similar articles?

There's more info in that article than we've had from the media/government since things kicked off. It annoys me that we are being kept in the dark.

27 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Hahaha. You really do have a hardon for Boris.
Read the article or go play somewhere else.

Easy brother Mark no love for Boris here, as I’ve stated to you on a number of occasions I’m not blind to any politicians faults. Just nothing worse than incessant whining and negativity.   Go play where ?? On lockdown and obeying the rules, 

PS The article was read prior to me commenting on the posts tone. 

Edited by Johnsond

On 08/05/2020 at 12:35, Johnsond said:

Zero exit strategy in Scotland yet I’ve just been out myself to screwfix ?‍♂️Essential?? Not really if I was to be honest but credit to screwfix they have it reasonably well sorted. Went past a retail park containing a B&Q, bargain world, M &S etc and  the place was rammed with long queues. You either go solid lock down or not the halfway house we are seeing is not really working. Even the burger van next to screwfix was open. Truth is many have had enough of being told to stay at home simple as that. 

No doubt they have, doesn't give people the right to be stupid.

Expect the amount of infections to increase in a week or so judging by the local VE day celebrations going on. 

People are idiots, that's why the government and press treat them so.

Did the weekly shopping, full of couples pottering about and to cut a long boring story short acting like pricks. At a guess it was a minimum of 50% of shoppers.

If I was in charge I would tell Joe Public fck all.

40 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Expect the amount of infections to increase in a week or so judging by the local VE day celebrations going on. 

Did the weekly shopping, full of couples pottering about and to cut a long boring story short acting like pricks. At a guess it was a minimum of 50% of shoppers.

Lucky you ain’t eh 

I’m not here to judge individuals or claim I’m adhering to all the guidance like a model citizen, my point is in reality the so called lock down is partial at the very best and that includes Scotland. Sturgeons claims of things being different up here and how she’s enforcing things are just not playing out in reality. 

2 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Infections will increase again now, and they need to if we are going to return to ‘normality’. 
Providing the NHS doesn’t become overwhelmed and people needing treatment aren’t turned away or selected/deselected for treatment then my thoughts are that we are getting through this as well as we possibly can. 

6 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Infections will increase again now, and they need to if we are going to return to ‘normality’. 
Providing the NHS doesn’t become overwhelmed and people needing treatment aren’t turned away or selected/deselected for treatment then my thoughts are that we are getting through this as well as we possibly can. 

"Providing the NHS doesn’t become overwhelmed" there is our big problem. Hospitals still have plenty of patients from the first round still on the wards. For some recovery is a very slow process so it wont take much to overwhelm NHS. We may have built new buildings but you cant train all the extra staff overnight. 

Boris mentions the R cant go back over 1 again so unless we are super "alert" we will be straight back into lockdown. Mind you they say the R is between  0.5 or 0.9 so glad they narrowed that down!

• Like 1

Reading and interesting study from Germany this morning. If it's right and the UK is similar we might be a long way down the road to herd immunity. ONS stats say there have been 50000 excess deaths (presumably from Covid?) and you could extrapolate that maybe 13 million of us may have had it! 

WWW.UNI-BONN.DE

The district of Heinsberg in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia is considered a hot spot for the novel Coronavirus...

I really should go and cut some logs instead of trying to understand this stuff  ?

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 2