Jump to content


Recommended Posts


Claim a grant through the coronavirus (COVID-19) Self-employment Income Support Scheme

Use this scheme if you're self-employed or a member of a partnership and have lost income due to coronavirus.

Published 26 March 2020

This scheme will allow you to claim a taxable grant worth 80% of your trading profits up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for the next 3 months. This may be extended if needed.

Who can apply

You can apply if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and you:

  • have submitted your Income Tax Self Assessment tax return for the tax year 2018-19
  • traded in the tax year 2019-20
  • are trading when you apply, or would be except for COVID-19
  • intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020-21
  • have lost trading/partnership trading profits due to COVID-19

Your self-employed trading profits must also be less than £50,000 and more than half of your income come from self-employment. This is determined by at least one of the following conditions being true:

  • having trading profits/partnership trading profits in 2018-19 of less than £50,000 and these profits constitute more than half of your total taxable income
  • having average trading profits in 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19 of less than £50,000 and these profits constitute more than half of your average taxable income in the same period

If you started trading between 2016-19, HMRC will only use those years for which you filed a Self-Assessment tax return.

If you have not submitted your Income Tax Self-Assessment tax return for the tax year 2018-19, you must do this by 23 April 2020.

HMRC will use data on 2018-19 returns already submitted to identify those eligible and will risk assess any late returns filed before the 23 April 2020 deadline in the usual way.

How much you’ll get

You’ll get a taxable grant which will be 80% of the average profits from the tax years (where applicable):

  • 2016 to 2017
  • 2017 to 2018
  • 2018 to 2019

To work out the average HMRC will add together the total trading profit for the 3 tax years (where applicable) then divide by 3 (where applicable), and use this to calculate a monthly amount.

It will be up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for 3 months.

We’ll pay the grant directly into your bank account, in one instalment.

How to apply

You cannot apply for this scheme yet.

HMRC will contact you if you are eligible for the scheme and invite you to apply online.

Individuals do not need to contact HMRC now and doing so will only delay the urgent work being undertaken to introduce the scheme.

You will access this scheme only through GOV.UK. If someone texts, calls or emails claiming to be from HMRC, saying that you can claim financial help or are owed a tax refund, and asks you to click on a link or to give information such as your name, credit card or bank details, it is a scam.

After you’ve applied

Once HMRC has received your claim and you are eligible for the grant, we will contact you to tell you how much you will get and the payment details.

If you claim tax credits you’ll need to include the grant in your claim as income.

Other help you can get

The government is also providing the following additional help for the self-employed:

If you’re a director of your own company and paid through PAYE you may be able to get support using the Job Retention Scheme.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
And for those of us with a growing business who just started last year..... 🤬

Yup. My regular subbie is in the same boat. Less than 1 year trading.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Yup. My regular subbie is in the same boat. Less than 1 year trading.

Dole money for him. Sad but true.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Martin Lewis show last night he was directing people to Universal Credits where the don't meet the criteria for the SeIS Scheme.




There are now over 1,500 officially confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK and, sadly, 71 deaths. Many are...



Don't dismiss universal credit (and other benefits). The changes are bigger than you think – especially for housing costs

Universal credit is a benefit which is available to many employed and self-employed workers, either if you're on low income of if you're unemployed (including if you were on a higher income, but that income has now either stopped or been reduced).

Amid the current crisis, the Government has increased the standard allowance AND removed the minimum income floor (which benefits the self-employed).  

So from Monday 6 April, if you're single and 25 or over, you can get a monthly standard allowance of up to £409.89 (both new and existing claims). Over a year, that's £4,918. Before the crisis, this yearly allowance was £3,813.

You may get more or less than the standard allowance dependent on your earnings (or your partner's if you live with them), whether you’ve got children, and other factors.

One of these factors is the amount of savings you've got. If you or your partner have combined savings of more than £6,000 you'll get less universal credit, and if you've (and your partner) got savings of £16,000 or over you won't be eligible for universal credit at all.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be pretty happy with that, its in line with the employed. Affraid its never going to work for every one.

I think cash injection to all of 1-2k would realy help a lot of people out if it could be done ASAP.

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really would advise anybody to just spend an hour or two and take a look here as martin lewis is a genius and please please sign up to his news letter. He is the guy who beat the banks on PPI claims and cost them billions of pounds. He is that good reminds me of me  😁 🖐️


Search Results

Edited by topchippyles

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Featured Adverts


Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.