Covid-19

Ratman

18 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I think you're over generalising here and also ignoring the fact that the vast majority of Teachers are Left Wing and dare I say it detest everything Tory? The Teachers Union certainly do and you seem to be heavily downplaying the power and leverage the Union has over Teachers as a whole and to think that the Union is not using Covid as a political weapon at the sacrifice of children's education is naïve. 

Only last night -militant Union members where gloating at the plans they have have in place to keep Schools closed.

Chris McGovern, chairman of the Campaign For Real Education is quoted as saying; ‘The union bosses are holding children to ransom,’ he said. ‘We are in the middle of a major power struggle about who runs education and the children are in the middle of it.’

I also hop the Teachers are offered the vaccine early as well. For two reasons, the genuine teachers like you indicate your wife so they can get back to educating the children and to end the Unions political interference. It will be interesting to see if the unionized teachers find an excuse not to take the vaccine and continue their power games. 

I’m almost certain that to become general idiot of any of these unions you have to actually have been fairly crap at the job and got into bother for your laziness when working whatever trade. So you got angry and have been blowing hot air ever since.

my wife and all the other teachers she knows except 1 (union rep who has just been quietly sacked) don’t take a deal of notice of the unions and are in them in case something like an accusation from an idiot pupil comes along for example and you need legal support. Or you get a complete tossed for a headteacher which causes all sorts of extra problems then again the union might be of help.

my wife shouts at the television when the NEU boss is on tv spouting his rubbish😂

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I think you're over generalising here and also ignoring the fact that the vast majority of Teachers are Left Wing and dare I say it detest everything Tory? The Teachers Union certainly do and you seem to be heavily downplaying the power and leverage the Union has over Teachers as a whole and to think that the Union is not using Covid as a political weapon at the sacrifice of children's education is naïve. 

Only last night -militant Union members where gloating at the plans they have have in place to keep Schools closed.

Chris McGovern, chairman of the Campaign For Real Education is quoted as saying; ‘The union bosses are holding children to ransom,’ he said. ‘We are in the middle of a major power struggle about who runs education and the children are in the middle of it.’

I also hop the Teachers are offered the vaccine early as well. For two reasons, the genuine teachers like you indicate your wife so they can get back to educating the children and to end the Unions political interference. It will be interesting to see if the unionized teachers find an excuse not to take the vaccine and continue their power games. 

Yes, most teachers are on the left of politics, but not really surprising considering that most work in the state sector and considering their levels of training and qualifications they are not earning as much as they could do if they had a more capitalist approach to life. If you've seen what tory governments have done to the education system, working conditions, expectations etc over the years you'd understand why they despise the Tories. The impact that Gove's "I know best" policies had on the morale of the teaching population, the numbers leaving the sector and the general feelings about their jobs was devastating, greatly increasing schools' reliance on younger, inexperienced newly qualified teachers as many more experienced ones (not retirement age) just walked. Having seen their real life wages tumble over the last 10 years due to below inflation pay rises has further exacerbated these problems. 

There are multiple unions all with different agendas and viewpoints and they rarely coincide unless it's for something that they see as particularly important for their members and there is a need to join forces. Is it not right that there is someone there to stand up for the workers (and children) when the government policies appear to be plucked out of thin air with regards to who is protected and how when they make sure they are trying to stick to an arbitrary promise and date? Undoubtedly some of those playing greater roles in the unions themselves and taking on the "shop steward" type roles in schools are the more militant types and up for a row at any given opportunity!! The members do have votes on some policies but many have little or nothing to do with them and ignore the union directives regarding strikes etc as they view the children's needs as more important than their own and treat their union membership as more of an insurance policy than anything else in case something goes wrong. 

At times Unions have undoubtedly caused excessive problems in certain industries but surely they do have an important role, particularly in this type of industry being discussed as there are huge numbers of employees with managers with widely differing agendas, being dictated to by government policy drawn up often by those with no expertise whatsoever in the sector, other than having gone to school! 

Do unions play a role in the oil sector? Protecting working conditions, pay etc or being largely private do they not get involved? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

They don't do too bad up here, £42k a year and off every weekend. They can do private work at night or weekends to increase their wages. Don't think they need to pay back any of their tuition fees up here once they are qualified. I remember our teachers stepping in when a teacher was off sick in our school. All they seemed to do was give us something to do and sit there marking their pupils exam sheets. It was an all boys school and worse than Eton. 🙄

You’ve just shown again how little you know. The £42k is top of pay scale which they have made very hard to get to. Evening and at least part of the weekend (Sunday in my house) is spent preparing for next week. Not everyone is rich yet needing to work 7 days a week.

I presume you have no wife and kids?

34 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I have been there and now understand why money is so important in life. You can worry that much about money that you can't get to sleep at night. That's the main reason the rich live longer than the poor, no money worries. 😉

Do you ever stop contradicting yourself? You must have a really poor memory I think.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Snowed in again today, looking at the news feeds and the amount of stories similar to the above is an eye opener for sure. 

Even that will go down as a covid death no doubt, but hey, as long as we are beating this virus he won't have died in vain. FFS!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The avantgardener said:
WORLDDOCTORSALLIANCE.COM

Uniting around the world with integrity and right action.

Some views on the Covid situation from ‘other’ scientists and health care professionals to be ignored by the mass hysterical.

I don't think most even get the chance to see the other side being as most media outlets are obsessed with pushing the official view you don't see this on the mainstream news.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Youngstu said:

Yes, most teachers are on the left of politics, but not really surprising considering that most work in the state sector and considering their levels of training and qualifications they are not earning as much as they could do if they had a more capitalist approach to life. If you've seen what tory governments have done to the education system, working conditions, expectations etc over the years you'd understand why they despise the Tories. The impact that Gove's "I know best" policies had on the morale of the teaching population, the numbers leaving the sector and the general feelings about their jobs was devastating, greatly increasing schools' reliance on younger, inexperienced newly qualified teachers as many more experienced ones (not retirement age) just walked. Having seen their real life wages tumble over the last 10 years due to below inflation pay rises has further exacerbated these problems. 

There are multiple unions all with different agendas and viewpoints and they rarely coincide unless it's for something that they see as particularly important for their members and there is a need to join forces. Is it not right that there is someone there to stand up for the workers (and children) when the government policies appear to be plucked out of thin air with regards to who is protected and how when they make sure they are trying to stick to an arbitrary promise and date? Undoubtedly some of those playing greater roles in the unions themselves and taking on the "shop steward" type roles in schools are the more militant types and up for a row at any given opportunity!! The members do have votes on some policies but many have little or nothing to do with them and ignore the union directives regarding strikes etc as they view the children's needs as more important than their own and treat their union membership as more of an insurance policy than anything else in case something goes wrong. 

At times Unions have undoubtedly caused excessive problems in certain industries but surely they do have an important role, particularly in this type of industry being discussed as there are huge numbers of employees with managers with widely differing agendas, being dictated to by government policy drawn up often by those with no expertise whatsoever in the sector, other than having gone to school! 

Do unions play a role in the oil sector? Protecting working conditions, pay etc or being largely private do they not get involved? 

There's a lot to get there there and Im short on time as Im doing some electrical testing on Deck. 

The gist of it seems to be; Yes Teachers are left of center and yes they hate the Tories but no they'd not put politic above the welfare of the children. Which is entirely at odd with the Unions that represent them. 

I assume you're familiar, or at least aware of who Chris McGovern is? He was previously a Head Teacher yet has real concerns about the militant Teachers Union and how they are weaponising Covid for political aims. I think you're intentionally downplaying the role and reach the unions have with teachers and playing on what you seem to agree on a bunch of Tory hating lefties willing to do whatever it takes to embarrass the Tories and using the Children as collateral. 

I think the vast majority in the private sector have seen their real life wages diminish over the last 10 years. I know of no one who's had a pay rise of any substance. Im not sure the same can be said for the public sector. I also think there is a number of reasons mature teachers left, particularly male teachers and I dont think the blame can be placed at either Parties feet although I'm sure there is a great number who'd point their finger at Blair. 

The Oil and Gas Unions in the UK are entirely toothless thee days. Why anyone would continue to pay their dues to them I have no idea. Norway on the other hand is much more unionised, very efficient and have a powerful voice. The members all seem to look after each other regardless of employer and will strike if the Oil Companies are not playing ball. Its meant that we've kept our working conditions during a number of down turns, maintained schedules that our employers would dearly love to remove and kept things like seniority in place, meaning that the Oil Companies cant just lay off the better paid employee in favour of the cheaper and up and coming new hands. With 12 years on a Norwegian Contract I have a fairly sizable cushion if there is lay-offs as anyone with less time in the company that me (with a few exceptions) has to be let go first. 

But I know where you're going with this. If I have such a strong union behind me, fighting my corner why should the Teachers not have the same thing? Well, for one I tend to find that in the public sector you're far better looked after than in the private sector. Wages, pensions, hours and expectations are all generally lower in the private sector. But the main reason for me is the almost Hamas way in which they are using Children as human shields to further not so much better conditions for the Teachers but for purely political reasons. And what a golden opportunity Covid has proved to be for them. 

• Like 2