HLA85 battery long reach hedge trimmer problem

Al Cormack

I have been having an issue with two of these battery hedge trimmers, where the connecting rod keeps becoming disconnected from the blades.

Anyone else been having this issue, or know why? Blades aren't jammed, and can be working fine, then get a nasty clattering noise and they jam up where the rod disconnects.

You can try replacing the bracket that covers the rod as if that wears it allows the rod to jump out (think its about £12-15) and the rods as the end of them that fits into the blades wears. Unfortunately ive found out a couple of times now that the hole in the blades wear and need replacing which isnt a cheap fix.

18 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

You can try replacing the bracket that covers the rod as if that wears it allows the rod to jump out (think its about £12-15) and the rods as the end of them that fits into the blades wears. Unfortunately ive found out a couple of times now that the hole in the blades wear and need replacing which isnt a cheap fix.

Cheers. This part?

0C9E9F50-FE7C-414D-9BE4-2B030B5E9D75_1_201_a.jpeg

I can`t say that I've had this particular problem but I`ve had the control board replaced on one under warranty and replaced the micro switch twice.  The machine is less than 2 years old.  I also own a Stihl HSA 86 which is pretty useless other than for trimming privet. Battery equipment still has a long way to come.  I`ve got 3 other Stihl hedge trimmers that are petrol and don`t cause me half as much trouble even though they are 5 or 6 years old and get heavy use.  

14 hours ago, Al Cormack said:

Cheers. This part?

0C9E9F50-FE7C-414D-9BE4-2B030B5E9D75_1_201_a.jpeg

That's the one but also check for wear on the con rods, holes in the blades and the main gear as that can wear where it drives the con rods.

Don't grease the gears too much as it will slow and put too much strain on the motor. The gearbox doesn't get filed like petrol machines. Probably little and often on the grease, might be the key to longer life.

• 3 years later...
On 06/02/2020 at 07:56, Mark_Skyland said:

That's the one but also check for wear on the con rods, holes in the blades and the main gear as that can wear where it drives the con rods.

Don't grease the gears too much as it will slow and put too much strain on the motor. The gearbox doesn't get filed like petrol machines. Probably little and often on the grease, might be the key to longer life.

What type of grease would you recommend.

Thanks 

On 05/02/2020 at 18:11, GJW said:

I can`t say that I've had this particular problem but I`ve had the control board replaced on one under warranty and replaced the micro switch twice.  The machine is less than 2 years old.  I also own a Stihl HSA 86 which is pretty useless other than for trimming privet. Battery equipment still has a long way to come.  I`ve got 3 other Stihl hedge trimmers that are petrol and don`t cause me half as much trouble even though they are 5 or 6 years old and get heavy use.  

'Battery equipment still has a long way to come'

Agree...we've had a lot of warranty rejected on battery stuff due to damp in the electrics. Most 'normal' domestic users have a shed in the garden where they store their kit...particularly over winter. Battery stuff doesn't like anything other than a warm climate to be stored as damp plays havoc with PCB's. My customers have gone nuts being told Stihl won't pay out for a repair as effectively Stihl are saying the machines should be stored in the house over winter, if the shed isn't heated!

1 hour ago, pleasant said:

Agree...we've had a lot of warranty rejected on battery stuff due to damp in the electrics. Most 'normal' domestic users have a shed in the garden where they store their kit...particularly over winter. Battery stuff doesn't like anything other than a warm climate to be stored as damp plays havoc with PCB's. My customers have gone nuts being told Stihl won't pay out for a repair as effectively Stihl are saying the machines should be stored in the house over winter, if the shed isn't heated!

Typical Stihl response, I think of all the battery equipment the pole hedge trimmer’s give the most issues, the gearboxes are not professional quality , I understand weight is an issue so lighter components are used but they need to be more reliable.

8 hours ago, treevolution said:

What type of grease would you recommend.

Thanks 

Use the Husqvarna grease, it's thinner than the stihl one. They only need a thin coating. I can't comment on the new offering from Stihl that come with an actual grease plug, as we've not had any come back so far

15 hours ago, pleasant said:

PCB?   Wassat?

I've spent more than the purchase price repairing my Husky battery polesaw and damp has never been mentioned by anyone.  I did make the mistake of approaching Husky and dealers while uttering the word 'warranty' though.

Ha ha ha ha ha.......🤦‍♂️