Chainsaw Milling Questions

Rough Hewn

Thoughts please. @Rough Hewn Or anyone,

We (me and the hired man) are looking at a few weeks without too much work.

I’ve been threatening to build a car port for 2 cars for a while, but now might be the perfect opportunity. He is a trained cabinet maker and is easily capable of a timber framed construction.

The builders merchant that supplies the 15cm square posts is shut for the duration, the beams and smaller sections are available from stock elsewhere in Douglas fir.

So I have a plan, I have this oak tree at the edge of my wood at least 2ft in diameter and straight, the main trunk is maybe 30/40 ft with a few branches of course but that’s life.

I see these cheap looking chainsaw mills for sale, delivery would be very quick, I have an 088 and a Multione 9.5 for moving the cut pieces.

Questions..

1: Will I be able to mill out 6” Square posts of 4 and 5 meters length? I know it’s tough work, but there’s no pressure of time.

2: Green oak is fine for timber frame isn’t it?

Any other advice or naysaying welcome.

Tia,

Mick

73EC06CA-9A7D-4F5A-9BC5-85E80493C81B.thumb.png.3fae0f9c555b8a4f1bc04699c68629ba.png

59D05E07-1E80-4D48-AC3C-1E24BE7FF418.thumb.jpeg.188b11780b0f934ec84b6fab5e0f79b6.jpeg

Yes.

But it takes a while.

You need to cut 3 edges with the ladder.

1 cut the top flat.

2 roll 90 degrees to left then cut top flat.

3 roll back right 180 degrees, cut top flat.

You should now have a 3 sided beam/cant.

Cut off 6" thick slabs.

Stack slabs together vertically.

Screw together at the bottom 6".

Mill at 6" fir 6" square beams.

Green oak absolutely fine.

Get a mill from rob.d they're half the price.

[emoji106]

• Thanks 1

I found it quite tricky doing large posts the first time and getting the first big cant/beam totally square Mick, allowing for taper, wedging up the ladder to be spot on etc, but if careful will be fine I'm sure, and a very satisfying job. You've probably seen in milling threads but if you have a second guy, get him to wedge as you go along a board, and be an auxiliary oiler with a little bottle of veg to squirt at the mill.

• Like 1

Yes, they’ll be two of us on site, so wedging and secondary oiling is possible.
A vertical mini mill might be worth a look, you could slab the trunk in 6 1/2 inch boards (allowing for planing and sanding to 6) and then run the mini mill through them using a smaller saw so easier and lighter, also less hassle than laddering an alaskan at 90° three times
  • Like 2