how to - higher side panels on my truck

DTaylor

So im just starting out with an old VW LT 35 (below), and need a cheap option for some kind of higher sides. Im not going to be chipping into it as I have no chipper or money for a chipper or tow bar..... However I still need to cram it full so higher sides is a must.

Ive seen people somehow stick ply boards either side but never been able to look up close to see how its done.

Any advice appreciated! 

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-26 at 13.41.52.jpeg

On my first job we used to cut 4ft long stakes and stand 2 or 3 along the sides to hold the brush (carefully cut to maximise the amount that could be put on) larger pieces were stuffed inside the stack to stop them falling out, then use rope to hold the lot down (Carter’s hitch anyone?) it was like a work of art at the end of the day.

Once back in Sussex a 10ft hazel stick with a fork at the end was used to push the lot off with the sides of the flatbed folded down.

Just what you needed at the end of the day!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

On my first job we used to cut 4ft long stakes and stand 2 or 3 along the sides to hold the brush (carefully cut to maximise the amount that could be put on) larger pieces were stuffed inside the stack to stop them falling out, then use rope to hold the lot down (Carter’s hitch anyone?) it was like a work of art at the end of the day.

Once back in Sussex a 10ft hazel stick with a fork at the end was used to push the lot off with the sides of the flatbed folded down.

Not as bad as shovelling a full load of chip off last thing though....

• Haha 1

Before i got a chipper, i often did this, worth getting a rope or two under the whole lot, so you can roll it all off in a oner!

1 hour ago, billpierce said:
3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Read more  

Before i got a chipper, i often did this, worth getting a rope or two under the whole lot, so you can roll it all off in a oner!

This brings back some memories ! We used to stack it up nice and high. Old boss was of old farm stock so it was done in similar fashion to building a rick. One man forking it up and one stacking. Would get a good 12 to 15 foot high flying hedge(as we called it) on a old Bedford tk flat bed. Rope set underneath at the start. Then rolled off in a oner with Fordson and Boughton at a local pig farmer who used it to boil his swill. Early 80s fun !

• Like 2