Husqvarna 550 Mk 2 or older MS 261-CM

Echo

2 minutes ago, Echo said:

Hi Mark, I completely agree with all you said there, my post seems to have got derailed somewhat, into the emissions cat thing, I even started a mew post over in the talk about anything forum regarding global warming, where am sure emissions pollution the laws pertaining to such etc will be better talked about.

'Cat' thing and 'mew' post.

Love it!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

'Cat' thing and 'new' post.

Love it!

I bet there wont be near as many replies now I made an official post about such,, here you all go.

Edited by Echo
  • Like 1

@echo I would worry too much about the altitude thing. I realise this can have a small effect over a large altitude change. I live at over 1000ft and tune my saws at home and regularly work by the coast with no noticeable difference in performance. Your little echo may behave differently on cold days etc but if it starts idles and revs up ok and spark colour is good I expect you may be overly concerning yourself.

Regarding a new AT saw, both 550 and 261 have had issues, these seem to ironed out now and there is a new mark (barry) 2 550 out now, which should be out now.

Quite a few folk I know have issues with both the husky and stihl saws you mention, but alot of people love them and have had no problems.....so who knows?

Are you set on buying new? If I lost all my saws and had to start again, I'd be looking very seriously at the echo/dolmar/makita offerings.

Whilst decatting the dolmar/makitas/echos seems like a sensible idea, I haven't heard of alot of big issues with them when left in. Possibly you might have to clean it after a few years work. However less people run these saws so you may not hear of the issues as often. I have decatted all of the echoes, makita and dolmar saws I have. Partially because I cant help myself from fiddling with them, not because i thought they were being restricted by them.

If you want to buy a new AT saw, I would go with whichever dealer seems the best service rather than which brand, as quite possibly you will have some issues. Even if this means having to spend a 10er to post it back to them in the event of a claim.

I have never heard of a warranty claim being refused from not having receipts of regular dealer servicing, however perhaps a dealer on here an shed some light onto this.

Hi billpierce

I wanted to avoid tampering with a new saw, like removing the cat, then I want to give the saw to my son, he may not be as careful as me when it comes to mixing, that was the main reason I was thinking of going for AT or MT.

My local dealer does not stock the newest version of the Stihl, that leaves only the Husqvarna 550 mk2, which is not out too long, so not many comments on it.

I  could of got another Echo, and have asked the dealer for a price, he was to call me, no call,

so what does that tell a man.

38 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Dont tamper with it then. My guess is you'll have less bother from a saw the cat than a AT saw.

Not sure I get that, my main reason for AT or MT would be fuel issues with mixes, the cat I just don't like as it adds heat to the equation, that kind of heat is not good for the saws, did you remove yours for power gain or reliability, either way thats why I don't like the idea of the cat.

19 hours ago, Echo said:

There are emission laws in the EU, the manufacturers need to comply with them, I would not like to be the one taken to court to explain why I thought these laws governing emissions were of no importance to the point I decided to change them for myself.

Are YOU a manufacturer of chainsaws ??  ?

7 hours ago, Echo said:

Hi billpierce

I wanted to avoid tampering with a new saw, like removing the cat, then I want to give the saw to my son, he may not be as careful as me when it comes to mixing, that was the main reason I was thinking of going for AT or MT.

My local dealer does not stock the newest version of the Stihl, that leaves only the Husqvarna 550 mk2, which is not out too long, so not many comments on it.

I  could of got another Echo, and have asked the dealer for a price, he was to call me, no call,

so what does that tell a man.

Quote:  "I want to give the saw to my son, he may not be as careful as me when it comes to mixing, that was the main reason I was thinking of going for AT or MT"

Are you referring to "mixing"  the 2 stroke oil and petrol ?  Because No AT or MT will correct improper mixing ratios, they will "only" adjust the amount of fuel(petrol and 2 stroke oil)being sucked through the carb, to achieve a certain level of revolutions.

7 hours ago, Echo said:

he may not be as careful as me when it comes to mixing, that was the main reason I was thinking of going for AT or MT.

How will autotune compensate for a bad fuel mix ? It will only cope with conditions like filter blocking or damp, hot and cold temps and your altitude change.