Husqvarna 550 Mk 2 or older MS 261-CM

Echo

16 minutes ago, peatff said:

I would not err on the safe side if it caused me as much angst as it is obviously causing you. To run an emission test yearly for saws would mean they have to be registered and regulated like vehicles setting up a government body to do it and testing stations and relying on users being conscientious enough to bother following the rules, I can't see where the money would be in that.  Just buy a saw and use it, once it is run in with a few tanks of fuel through it then worry about it.

And I agree with you, but no angst here, I would like to think it was unlikely there would be an emissions test for small equipment like saws, but they are clamping down on all of this, am not against modifying our saws, just not sure we will treated any differently than an other polluter.

When you buy your saw its registered, so there is one stumbling block removed, the fact you have it in your hand is hard to deny, and if there is an emissions cert required, well your up the creek then, will it happen is the niggling question.

Right now none of this will stop anyone buying a saw, me included, so I will keep my ears tuned for remarks regarding the two saws I am interested in.

Edited by Echo

Nice choice of words Mark Bolam

I posted regarding two saws am interested in, people commented on other saws with cats fitted, this is where the removing cats which leads to higher emissions debate started, which is a real issue, not what you call it.

There would be no problem implementing any such regulations if and when they come, a simple cert that we would have to submit when we would tender for work would go a long way to ensuring we would have to get the emissions test to get the cert to get the work.

4 minutes ago, Echo said:

I posted regarding two saws am interested in, people commented on other saws with cats fitted, this is where the removing cats which leads to higher emissions debate started, which is a real issue, not what you call it.

There would be no problem implementing any such regulations if and when they come, a simple cert that we would have to submit when we would tender for work would go a long way to ensuring we would have to get the emissions test to get the cert to get the work.

One exDSCF0054.jpg.c7d9648c00dc48aaec1d7ba8c738ad59.jpghaust can for testing and another for work .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

One exDSCF0054.jpg.c7d9648c00dc48aaec1d7ba8c738ad59.jpghaust can for testing and another for work .

Hi Stubby, yes, thats a sensible approach, and many will go down that road if and when the time comes.

You know if I had ignored those who mentioned cats and their removal I might have been better off, hindsight would be a fine thing, I give up now, the future of cats emissions etc needs a separate post.

We seem to have a natural talent in this country at looking down the wrong end of a telescope. I am guessing that the emissions of one passenger jet plane taking off fully loaded for one flight is greater than the emissions of all chainsaws in this country for a year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, outonalimb said:

We seem to have a natural talent in this country at looking down the wrong end of a telescope. I am guessing that the emissions of one passenger jet plane taking off fully loaded for one flight is greater than the emissions of all chainsaws in this country for a year.

Hi outonalimb

Totally agree

52 minutes ago, Echo said:

Echo,

I'm not having a go, I'm just telling it how it really is.

Rules and regs are all well and good, but only IF they are enforced. They simply aren't.

How many firms are out there working, right now, this minute with no qualifications, nicked saws, nicked chippers, insufficient/no PPE, no insurance no idea etc? Certificate to tender? Never going to happen.

Maybe it would work for bigger firms on bigger commercial contracts, but who wants to pay for it?

Domestic arb is totally unregulated.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Echo,

I'm not having a go, I'm just telling it how it really is.

Rules and regs are all well and good, but only IF they are enforced. They simply aren't.

How many firms are out there working, right now, this minute with no qualifications, nicked saws, nicked chippers, insufficient/no PPE, no insurance no idea etc? Certificate to tender? Never going to happen.

Maybe it would work for bigger firms on bigger commercial contracts, but who wants to pay for it?

Domestic arb is totally unregulated.

Hi Mark, I completely agree with all you said there, my post seems to have got derailed somewhat, into the emissions cat thing, I even started a new post over in the talk about anything forum regarding global warming, where am sure emissions pollution the laws pertaining to such etc will be better talked about.

Edited by Echo
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, outonalimb said:

Together with all the wood burners for a year ?

• Like 2