Splitting kindling

Guest Gimlet

Guest Gimlet

If I turn it into charcoal most of it would go in the kiln as it is. I am looking into a kiln. I'll probably get a fabricator to make the lid and the ring and do the shoes, vents and chimneys myself. I think a five footer will do to get me started. When I cut the rest of my overstood coppice there'll be masses of charcoal material that's too big for kindling so I'll still be left with my offcuts.

You're right Richard, it's material that's too good to waste and I've got to remove it from the job really. It's a big client. He pays well and I've got at least two more full seasons of work there with another three miles of young hedge waiting for me when it matures. Much of the farm is SSSI downland and I can't burn brash on site so the tractor driver picks it up with a telehandler and takes it to a pit for burning. Leaving thousands of short lengths of hazel stakes that will fall through his forks isn't going to be popular. 

I looked into an Oxdale petrol splitter because I really like the design and speed but didn't realise how much they cost... 

I'm pretty sure I can rig up a kindling jig to fit the usual type of vertical splitter but it might be trickier to do with the Oxdale with its small chisel design. But I want one now I've seen how fast and easy to use they are.  

In the meantime it's back to the hatchet and the axe. Could do with a table saw as well..

Edited by Gimlet

3 hours ago, Gimlet said:

If I turn it into charcoal most of it would go in the kiln as it is. I am looking into a kiln. I'll probably get a fabricator to make the lid and the ring and do the shoes, vents and chimneys myself.

Why not buy a licence to make one of Beau's kilns?They are small but you can sequentially load the steel barrels one after another every hour or so.

4 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Don't know about Beau's kilns. Got a link?

Technically it is a retort as the difference is a kiln has the fire inside the char container and the retort has the fire outside

Edited by openspaceman
definition explanation

1 hour ago, gary112 said:

Have you not got a youngster local in need of a few quid at night and weekends that could split it up for you,just a thought

I remember using something like that with my father as a kid to make up bags of kindling to sell alongside the coal on the round we had. Only training I got was to be told don't put your fingers on the top ??

IMG_0878.PNG

• Like 2