Replacing trailer floor

MAPLE LEAF

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

Probably be before the disciplinary committee for posting this from a rival forum!

I always heard that they made trailer floors from poplar in the old days and some on this site seem to agree.  It would certainly be a cheap alternative and easy to replace.

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=74569.0

When I was sheeting and shunting trailers the boards were rough reddish wood. There was always a supply of them in the depot for repairs and I am pretty sure they were Iroco. Poplar I've left outside turns to mush in no time.

I vaguely remember being told that it was good for trailer floors because it was more resistant to  abrasion, for instance when tipping sand or coarse material.  It is hopeless if in constant contact with water, but kept in the dry when stored and maybe oiled, perhaps??????

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

I vaguely remember being told that it was good for trailer floors because it was more resistant to  abrasion, for instance when tipping sand or coarse material.  It is hopeless if in constant contact with water, but kept in the dry when stored and maybe oiled, perhaps??????

It was used partly because it doesn't splinter. One of the reasons it was also used for match splints.

The Poplar Timber Co. tried to get it used for furniture but a problem was it easily dented. The  company seemed to morph into a firewood business.

I wonder why it couldn't be hardened in the same way cricket bats are surface hardened by crushing the outside layer.

Did someone re-invent Poplar as "Tulipwood"?

I saw very fancy, very expensive "bespoke"  windowframes at bld trades exhibition, and was told they were tulipwood(and why did I imagine they were poplar?)

Anyway I was able to bury a thumbnail into the timber with little effort, about as hard as hard Balsa wood, BUT I deduced it was easy machined and took a lovely finish.

Also presumably cheap, and with, I suppose a high(or low. which is it?) "u" value.

marcus