Today's milling

Rough Hewn

8 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Ok, let me explain.
Panther mills are at the cutting edge of chainsaw milling.
All mills will need correct assembly and calibration.
Then you will have teething issues.
But after a while you will have the best mill available.
I had issues with everything above, but all got sorted in a few days.
Never had an issue since.
And I push the limits of all my kit….

Chilaskan mills are great for beginners and hobbyists or woodworkers.
They just don’t last though with heavy use.
I’ve got a box full of broken Alaskans.
Probably burnt through 3-4 in 2 years.
The aluminium wears on the rails so that the bolts lose grip, the uprights crack and break,
The welding is ****, don’t trust the height markers….
Etc.

That’s why there’s also a massive difference in price.
I’ve had my panthers for over 2 years of harsh work, still going strong.
emoji106.png

No need to explain Saul, I don’t own the Chinese copies my chainsaw mills are genuine and whilst they probably don’t take the beating yours do they have not had an easy life. To sort out one of the issues would of necessitated in my view drilling the top bar and using pins to lock the handles etc rather than relying on grub screws and friction etc. That’s just an example. I use precision engineered eqpt in a sub sea environment on a daily basis so maybe my standards are very high. The technology involved on the  Panther mills is far from cutting edge rather just basic engineering. I’m well aware of how to build and fettle a bit of kit and any of the fixes that are done on my mates Panther 881 set up I’ll easy post the outcome. End of the day I was looking forward to the ease of use etc hence buying it in the first place but for me there was basic things that could have been better for the price. That’s my opinion and it was my money my choice etc etc not a criticism of the concept or any individual. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Sadly though we have had to cancel the job as there were too many complications with the site.
Gutted…
I have said if he can crane it onto a lorry I’d take it.
But I’m not holding my breath.

I Take it this is the big Oak log you have been on about ?

Thought it was in the middle of a field ??

• Like 1

No need to explain Saul, I don’t own the Chinese copies my chainsaw mills are genuine and whilst they probably don’t take the beating yours do they have not had an easy life. To sort sort out one of the issues would of necessitated in my view drilling the top bar and using pins to lock the handles etc rather than relying on grub screws and friction etc. That’s just an example. I use precision engineered eqpt in a sub sea environment on a daily basis so maybe my standards are very high. The technology involved on the  Panther mills is far from cutting edge rather just basic engineering. I’m well aware of how to build and fettle a bit of kit and any of the fixes that are done on my mates Panther 881 set up I’ll easy post the outcome. End of the day I was looking forward to the ease of use etc hence buying it in the first place but for me there was basic things that could have been better for the price. That’s my opinion and it was my money my choice etc etc not a criticism of the concept or any individual. 

They are a well built bit of kit but certainly not that well built. Cutting edge is taking it way to far IMO. As you say plenty of small changes could be made to make a good design better.

I guess we’re too spoilt with the standards a real harsh environment requires equipment to be built to. 🤣
  • Like 1

No need to explain Saul, I don’t own the Chinese copies my chainsaw mills are genuine and whilst they probably don’t take the beating yours do they have not had an easy life. To sort out one of the issues would of necessitated in my view drilling the top bar and using pins to lock the handles etc rather than relying on grub screws and friction etc. That’s just an example. I use precision engineered eqpt in a sub sea environment on a daily basis so maybe my standards are very high. The technology involved on the  Panther mills is far from cutting edge rather just basic engineering. I’m well aware of how to build and fettle a bit of kit and any of the fixes that are done on my mates Panther 881 set up I’ll easy post the outcome. End of the day I was looking forward to the ease of use etc hence buying it in the first place but for me there was basic things that could have been better for the price. That’s my opinion and it was my money my choice etc etc not a criticism of the concept or any individual. 

I banged a tiny dent in the bar where the grub screw goes with an old nail.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, arbwork said:

lovely looking bench top there Big Beech, i think WRC an overlooked spp.  especially where grain is a bit wavey on branch and other areas, not so good pics here but some look like folded or quilted silk wrc1.thumb.jpg.f6cb2b7bf5e1605d581382359eaadc60.jpgwrc2.thumb.jpg.4801465ca1f5e34201f4548d1ce70739.jpgwrc3.thumb.jpg.a12ced14dc818e2f1ead9278141c90b8.jpgwrc4.thumb.jpg.5afbbe0488bd578ceaeb3e39d593d7e1.jpgwrc5.thumb.jpg.4c6bf10974f2fc3d0ee1a674b364cd8b.jpgwrc1.thumb.jpg.f6cb2b7bf5e1605d581382359eaadc60.jpgsilk

very nice looking work. is that resin or varnish you are using on the surface? 😁

• Like 1