Today's milling

Rough Hewn

1 hour ago, AndyO said:

Rob is good to deal with. It’s cool they are still refining and evolving the design.

I’d definitely say that’s true, I’ve a pair of Alaskans and whist changing the thickness of cut is a pain they are pretty simple well put together bits of kit. I bought a brand new panther 60 kit and had is sitting in the shed waiting  to be set up with the 880, but after watching a mate build and use his I pretty much made my mind up to selll it there and then and stick with the simple proven design. He has had issues with the grub screws on the height adjustment grips coming loose so not gripping the bar  and the cogs going out of synch along with a number of other things  He is a good machinist and fabrication type so will no doubt stick with it and probs sort out the issues himself but for me it seemed like a fair bit of work to get it where I’d want it to be. 

• Like 2

I’d definitely say that’s true, I’ve a pair of Alaskans and whist changing the thickness of cut is a pain they are pretty simple well put together bits of kit. I bought a brand new panther 60 kit and had is sitting in the shed waiting  to be set up with the 880, but after watching a mate build and use his I pretty much made my mind up to selll it there and then and stick with the simple proven design. He has had issues with the grub screws on the height adjustment grips coming loose so not gripping the bar  and the cogs going out of synch along with a number of other things  He is a good machinist and fabrication type so will no doubt stick with it and probs sort out the issues himself but for me it seemed like a fair bit of work to get it where I’d want it to be. 

I get a good supply of half empty bottles of Loctite. Just as well really. 🤣
  • Like 1

Ok, let me explain.
Panther mills are at the cutting edge of chainsaw milling.
All mills will need correct assembly and calibration.
Then you will have teething issues.
But after a while you will have the best mill available.
I had issues with everything above, but all got sorted in a few days.
Never had an issue since.
And I push the limits of all my kit….

Chilaskan mills are great for beginners and hobbyists or woodworkers.
They just don’t last though with heavy use.
I’ve got a box full of broken Alaskans.
Probably burnt through 3-4 in 2 years.
The aluminium wears on the rails so that the bolts lose grip, the uprights crack and break,
The welding is ****, don’t trust the height markers….
Etc.

That’s why there’s also a massive difference in price.
I’ve had my panthers for over 2 years of harsh work, still going strong.
[emoji106]
  • Like 6

Wasn't that big Oak log was shared on the fb arbtalk page?
The general consensus from the pictures provided was it looked rotten as hell, and that picture of you stood in front of the end seems to confirm that?

Yes it is on FBarbtalk,
There is some rot, but it’s getting much smaller up the log. I expect it to be fairly solid after another 4-8’.
Sadly though we have had to cancel the job as there were too many complications with the site.
Gutted…
I have said if he can crane it onto a lorry I’d take it.
But I’m not holding my breath.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1