Today's milling

Rough Hewn

8 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

Thanks 

Everyone seems to say something different! I've been told to use only water, some say add a bit if washing up liquid which is what I've been doing 

Thought the screen wash was only necessary in winter 🤔

I definitely don’t get good results using just water, my own preference is RTF tar remover type stuff mixed quite strongly with water. 

• Thanks 1

On 08/08/2023 at 21:44, Stihl123 said:

On the sawmill, cutting some softwood and the blade seemed to be jamming in the log then riding the clutch, resulting in the clutch getting very hot. 

Thought blade was done so swapped it out, but still doing it. 

Did couple of cherry logs the other day, absolutely fine. They were down about 4 yrs before I milled. 

The softwood has been down about 8 months 

Any ideas please 

You say the blade was a ripper 37 (same as I use) but was it new or sharpened?  If the latter then I would question how well the blade is sharpened.  I have found that very few people sharpen them properly, including saw doctors.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

You say the blade was a ripper 37 (same as I use) but was it new or sharpened?  If the latter then I would question how well the blade is sharpened.  I have found that very few people sharpen them properly, including saw doctors.

it was a brand new blade!

2 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Oh.  I would try Stephen Cull again, he knows more than most about blades and problems with them.

he got back to me this am, few things, could be useful to others too;

spruce is very woolly and blunts blades quickly 

more important to keep blades really sharp, change as soon as the edge starts to go, rather than increasing the set

scots pine is terrible for gumming up with resin, so use plenty of water 

ripper blades should perform well as standard on low power sawmills like mine

so will be doing some more testing and see how it goes 👍

thanks all

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

he got back to me this am, few things, could be useful to others too;

spruce is very woolly and blunts blades quickly 

more important to keep blades really sharp, change as soon as the edge starts to go, rather than increasing the set

scots pine is terrible for gumming up with resin, so use plenty of water 

ripper blades should perform well as standard on low power sawmills like mine

so will be doing some more testing and see how it goes 👍

thanks all

Spruce is what I've been cutting with virgin Ripper 37s and the 50% screenwash was a game changer.

• Like 3

On 04/08/2023 at 08:38, Stihl123 said:

i put it together myself, all the laser stuff came to just under £100, not bad at all

let me know if you want to know where and what i got

Very cool! 

Ive got the Laser set up now but was not sure which way to go to power it. I like what you've done with the Makita battery, could you share the parts list? Id want to use my DeWalt batteries but they are 18v and the laser is supposedly 12v, not sure if thats an issue or not?