Today's milling

Rough Hewn

37 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

On the sawmill, cutting some softwood and the blade seemed to be jamming in the log then riding the clutch, resulting in the clutch getting very hot. 

Thought blade was done so swapped it out, but still doing it. 

Did couple of cherry logs the other day, absolutely fine. They were down about 4 yrs before I milled. 

The softwood has been down about 8 months 

Any ideas please 

How many hrs has it done ??

Might be worth checking you’ve had no stretch on the throttle cable ie it’s definitely running flat out and the  clutch is fully engaged. Poss worth cleaning the clutch out too. Softwood I find  is often harder to cut than hardwood a lot depends on moisture content. What hook angle are you running on the blades?. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Johnsond said:

How many hrs has it done ??

Might be worth checking you’ve had no stretch on the throttle cable ie it’s definitely running flat out and the  clutch is fully engaged. Poss worth cleaning the clutch out too. Softwood I find  is often harder to cut than hardwood a lot depends on moisture content. What hook angle are you running on the blades?. 

not many at all as only just got it.

i did adjust the throttle a little as it has stretched a couple of mm

i'll clean the clutch out and see if i can see anything going on in there

defo is pretty wet timber 

they are Ripper37 blades, which i believe are 10 degrees 

thank you

2 minutes ago, youcallthatbig said:

try a blade with a bigger set to the teeth, sounds as tho the fibrous nature of softwood is binding on the blade, giving you better clearance so less drag...

brilliant, thank you. i'll get some on order and give that a go 👍

10 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

not many at all as only just got it.

i did adjust the throttle a little as it has stretched a couple of mm

i'll clean the clutch out and see if i can see anything going on in there

defo is pretty wet timber 

they are Ripper37 blades, which i believe are 10 degrees 

thank you

Ripper 37s will most likely be a general purpose 7 degrees.

When cutting softwood, run 50% arctic grade windscreen washer fluid in the coolant tank. Cheaply available in packs of 4x5 litre cans from your local motor factors. It'll make a big difference- your problem sounds like resin build up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, doobin said:

Ripper 37s will most likely be a general purpose 7 degrees.

When cutting softwood, run 50% arctic grade windscreen washer fluid in the coolant tank. Cheaply available in packs of 4x5 litre cans from your local motor factors. It'll make a big difference- your problem sounds like resin build up.

Thanks 

Everyone seems to say something different! I've been told to use only water, some say add a bit if washing up liquid which is what I've been doing 

Thought the screen wash was only necessary in winter 🤔